Agnostic.com

4 1

LINK France Mila affair: Thirteen on trial over online abuse

Religious thugs in France continue their fanaticism. "Je suis Charlie".

anglophone 9 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know how my comment will be taken but reality can often be tough. Too many think 'diversity' is the be all and end all of a countries greatness. it is not. We need to understand a country's immigration policy is complicated and can do a lot of damage to the country's citizens and this is a clear case. The Germans brought in a lot of Turkish workers to do the work the Germans wouldn't but the split between Christian Turks seeking asylum and the Moslem Turks seeking work created a lot of violence. Too often we don't see 'diversity' as just another word for polarization and violence. If we are to have any chance of stabilizing our population, as we must, we need to drastically reduce our immigration levels for starters. Population growth in the 21st century has gone way beyond being sustainable and it will destroy us.

mixing cultures never works out too well, seems like

@bbyrd009 Australia is doing ok. So far...

@bbyrd009 parade celebrating multiculturalism, just last night

@Mvtt I don't know which is worse, the vitriolic conservatives or the 'well meaning' liberals. The end result will be the same, chaos.

@JackPedigo that’s the way of the universe. Entropy.

@Mvtt It's the way of stupid humans. The universe has been functioning very well for billions of years.

@JackPedigo oh I don’t disagree 😉

@Mvtt gotta wonder what the indigenous aussies think of Australian multiculturalism...

@bbyrd009 Probably the same as they thought of the original Aussie invaders from Europe.

@JackPedigo what’s your point lads? Multiculturalism is bad?

@Mvtt Too much of anything is bad. When multiculturalism leads to polarization, corruption and violence, it is bad. Why do so many think all cultures are totally benign. They all have aspects that don't fit in with other cultures. IE female genital mutilation as practiced in many countries. Also, increasing human diversity in a given location leads to a loss of biodiversity. So tell me which is more important human diversity or biodiversity?

@JackPedigo I agree there are bad parts to any culture. And shouldn’t be kept nor celebrated.
To your question though (the answer obviously is biodiversity), I find no evidence that “increasing human diversity in a given location leads to a loss of biodiversity”.
Diversity of human culture is not the cause. Increasing human activity such as over-exploitation of natural resources, has the effect you’ve conflated.

cultures don’t mix, they clash, imo anyway, as many, many examples might illustrate.

“ increasing human diversity in a given location leads to a loss of biodiversity”
without a doubt, as the diverse humans will naturally introduce foreign species into the environment, and etc. as demonstrated by Europeans coming to America and cutting all the trees down, introducing apple trees and whatnot, “Johnny Appleseed” effing idiots
And gee, we just can’t figure out why we’re entering a mass extinction event lol

@Mvtt Sorry, but ample evidence and even common sense shows that multi-culturalism/diversity means the importation of people from other locations. That is called population growth. People come here for one reason - to increase their carbon footprint. A PBS production about culture and food demonstrated because of the increased popularity of many kinds of ethnic foods this country has become dependent on foods from outside the US (and probably in other developed countries as well) and we have lost our ability to feed our-selves. Again, more of us in a given area means a loss of biodiversity. We are the worlds preeminent invasive species. We need to quite sugar coating the human species.

@JackPedigo I think you’ve mixed up the definition of diversity, with growth.

@Mvtt And why is that not so? Human diversity has and still is about more not less or even at a set level. People use 'diversity' to promote more immigration; the two are almost synonymous. With the huge loss of bio-diversity it has to be about regrowth to try and make up to what we have lost. Yes, the meaning and the actuality are two separate things but it is what is happening that is what's critical.

Education is the answer.

How can one educate religious zealots? Education is a resource and when one has to try and educate people from different ethnic backgrounds it becomes a very expensive resource. This is an expense most places cannot bear.

Thirteen on trial over threats against French teen who slammed Islam on social media

[france24.com]

Thanks for the link.

One more reason we should take pains in screening those who wish to immigrate. One other example of when the 'melting pot' becomes a cauldron!

I see this as serious and also as absolute ridiculousness. Why would anyone take an image of anything as a reason to murder someone?

Answer because they are a religious fanatic, of which Islam seems to have more than its fair share.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601214
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.