Agnostic.com

3 2

New atheists are godless grifters?
[salon.com]

Sierra4 8 June 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only If they are studying & following the likes of Falwell, Baker, Osteen et al......

Amen to that.

It seems like I've been reading articles disparaging so called new atheists since they and the term became prominent in the early 2000s, and in that magazine, if I recall correctly, as well as others. Writers intent on this disparagement seem falsely to assume that if they attack the prominent atheists they somehow are landing blows against atheism. These articles come and go, and those of us with an ability to contextualise and critically assess recognise on the one hand the enormous contribution atheist activists have made, while knowing they are human beings, who have good days and bad days, sometimes, like we all do, express ourselves less well, and sometimes respond from emotion and even bias. To critics like these I always ask, 'How much impact or influence have you had in this world compared to the so-called new atheists? What have you done to foster a religion free secular world?" The answer, I imagine, is not much if anything at all. In short: a beat up.

So what. Nobody is ever perfect, if you waited for a perfect person to come along before you would consider any of their views worth listening to, then you would be sitting alone in silence for a very long time.

Quite.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601600
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.