Agnostic.com

6 10

The 'two societies': 97% of new COVID cases are among people who haven’t gotten the shots.

By Danny Westneat, Seattle Times, June 5, 2021

This being America, it was probably inevitable that we would turn the scientific breakthrough of a pandemic-ending vaccine into a game show.

It’s like “Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?” with cash prizes, or “The Price is Right,” where you can “come on down!” to get a jab and a chance at an Xbox or free flights to Cancún or gift cards redeemable for topsoil (yes, really, topsoil).

Whatever works. It’s a little strange, though, that there’s not more hoopla around what’s happening with the vaccines themselves.

“For those of us in public health, it’s nothing short of amazing,” Dr. Jeff Duchin, the chief health officer for Seattle and King County, told me the other day.

I had called Duchin to ask about a startling claim he made recently. At a weekly health briefing, he offhandedly remarked that of King County’s recent COVID-19 cases, 97% had occurred in unvaccinated people.

It effectively meant the only people still catching coronavirus here in King County are people who haven’t gotten the shots. It also means the disease that just a few months ago threatened the entire nation is now almost exclusively circulating among a shrinking few.

What happened is Duchin had been noticing that disease transmission seemed to be increasingly located in spots around the county where vaccination rates were low.

“It’s a very clear result,” Duchin said. “It leads to a basic conclusion: Who’s left to catch COVID-19? People who are unvaccinated.”

This isn’t an isolated finding. Across the state, the Washington State Department of Health reports that between April 3 and May 29, there were 1,358 “breakthrough” cases in which someone who was fully vaxxed still caught COVID. But during that same period, the state reported 63,751 cases among the unvaccinated — which is 98% of the total.

“We’re getting to the point where it’s a tale of two societies,” says Dr. Umair Shah, the state health secretary.

Shah reported this past week that unvaccinated people between ages 45 and 64 are now being hospitalized for COVID at rates 21 times higher than the vaccinated.

“It’s throughout the country that you’re seeing this split,” he said. “You have one society that is protected fully and is starting to go about its business … and another that is still at high risk of transmission and infection.”

Recently the hospital in Bend, Oregon, reported that it had seen 500 COVID patients since March — and 98% of them were unvaccinated.

The implications are clear. One is: Get vaccinated, if you can.

“We will have to live in equilibrium with a level of disease that results from having a proportion of the population unvaccinated,” he said. Meaning: Periodic outbreaks, hospitalizations, deaths, potentially cycling for years.

Or: If 97% protection can’t entice you, then … come on down! Can we interest you in some of that topsoil?

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 June 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It seems to obvious to us, but to the 78% of unvaccinated who don’t ever expect to get the shots, it’s a different world. They really seem to live in a different world with thought processes we can’t fathom.

Once again...

Only in America could you say: 'I don't trust the government with my health. But a chance at a lottery, sign me up.' with a straight face.

Our country is stupid, insane, lazy and way too greedy.

@RichCC

Not every American is stupid, insane, lazy and way too greedy.

@LiterateHiker Ha, ha.
In a population of 331 million, there are bound to be exceptions. But we also elected Trump and McConnell.🙂🤔

@RichCC

A lifelong Democrat, environmentalist and feminist, I never voted for a Republican in my life.

@LiterateHiker
Me too. Good job.
I even consider myself a feminist. Although I've never gone to rallies for that or any other cause.

@LiterateHiker If you're on the outside looking in, it's hard to see the roses amongst that forest of weeds. 😅😅

@Cyklone, @RichCC

Signs I made for rallies and marches. I live in a redneck, rural area.

@LiterateHiker
I knew you'd been to some.😘
I remember at least some of those images.

I've never been active politically. I'll lamely claim that ever since college I've been one of those engineers who automatically get eliminated from jury pools. And even worse I've always worked for FDA and FAA regulated companies (No risks of any kind allowed. Yes. I've been through CIA and private background checks). I'll say it again. I know it's lame, but I've always been conservative personally, just liberal thinking politically, 🙂

Not surprised. 😠

The data could not be more obvious.

Anti vaccine sentiment is just insane

bobwjr Level 10 June 7, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:601930
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.