Agnostic.com

7 16

Hiking pants: enlarged a pocket to fit my smartphone.

I love these Columbia hiking pants! With a slim fit, they fit me perfectly. That's me in the pink Solumbra hat (SPF 100) with my new women's hiking group. I had ordered another pair of the same pants and was waiting for them to arrive.

Yesterday I spent three hours increasing the size of the leg pocket to fit my smartphone. I added material on the inside of the pants. Increased the width and depth of the pocket.

At first, the smartphone hung too low, hitting my knee. The pants are stretchy. So I cut off material an inch at a time. It's better to start too big than too small. Rounded the corners to push the smartphone close to the side seam. Double-sewed the seams.

Satisfied, I put away the sewing machine and sewing supplies. Checked the mail. The 2nd hiking pants had arrived. I groaned. Now I need to enlarge the side pocket on the new pants. Again.

To my delight, Columbia listened to customer feedback. On the new pants, they increased the size of a front pocket to fit a smartphone. And added zippers to the legs so I can turn them into shorts.

Happy dance.

LiterateHiker 9 June 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh, yes, I understand why you did it. The jeans I bought in recent months either have no pockets, or they are too small for a phone or even a bunch of keys. I like what you've got. I don't know how to sew, so I'm unlikely to do this ever. So I'm just looking for similar pants. Most often, such hiking pants can be found either in a hiking store or at a second-hand market in the clothing department for electricians and other similar workers. Everyone needs pockets! The last cool pants I bought I found on buyitsnew.com. This store has all sorts of household goods or clothes for different purposes. My green pants were for hiking and fishing. I'm happy that they have six pockets. When hiking in the mountains with friends, these pockets fit camping flashlights, a phone, crackers, a compass, and even a water flask.

My phone is general in the hip pocket of the backpack, jacket or on the waterproof case on my neck (in case I am going on a SUP).
Hiking pants have very small pockets.
But happy to hear that the company has a good service and will improve the product.

@Pedrohbd

You're right that hiking pants have very small pockets.

What does SUP mean?

@LiterateHiker Stand Up Paddleboard, something like this

Good for pants that fit your phone right.

Great job!!!

@Paddyperia

Thank you.

@LiterateHiker, you're welcome!!!

Why women do not riot and tar and feather designers that create pocket failures is beyond me. A couple billboards featuring lurid photos of designers in tar and feathers photographed by Annie Leibowitz would likely create a permanant shift in thinking by these so-called designer "geniuses".

Literate Hiker - Well done!

It is awesome that they listened to your comments and made the changes. I'm sure they have heard from other customers as well. But way cool that they were responsive. I have altered pockets in pants before, it can be a frustrating process. Women need pockets as much if not more than men do.

I like the comment but will ask why women ALWAYS need something universal more than men? Can't they just need something (along with men)? I think the lack of pockets is a female desire because pockets would get used and that would mess up the natural figure. It would also reduce the need for a handbag or to make their mate carry things for them.

@rainmanjr

"Never put keys in your coat pocket because it ruins the lines of the coat," my friend's mother said.

To keep us out of trouble, Jami's mother taught Jami and me to sew the summer before we entered 7th grade. It worked.

@rainmanjr women have always desired and needed pockets. Men decided women shouldn't have ways of hiding what they were carrying in case they decided to carry money and make a get away. And then there are the designers who decided pockets would mess up the lines and make us look lumpy so we didn't deserve them. I'm sorry, f**k that. I want my pockets and I don't give a rip what my lines look like. I'm not here to be visually pleasing to anyone. "make their mate carry things for them..." I seem to be missing a mate, I carry my own damn crap, and did when I had a mate too. So many times in women's apparel pockets have been mostly for show, not for function. I can sew, and I fixed that, damn the designer. I should have gotten a rebate on the price of the slacks. Handbags suck, have you ever seen a crook grab a woman's handbag and make a run for it? I carry my cell phone and my keys on my person when I am out of my home. I don't buy pants that don't have useful pockets, and currently I wear mostly jeans. Even my exercise pants have a pocket for my cell phone.

@HippieChick58 Then what I wrote doesn't really apply to you. I think that's great and shows you have always thought outside the box. When I wrote of maintaining the form I was referring more to the body's form. Some seem to think it was the fabric's, which I think benefits, but it's showing off the female butt and thighs not having distracting lumps. I think females had as much to do with fashion as men, if not more, whether it was up front or in a collaborative fashion. haha. puns. The same designers also offered handbags (probably not a coincidence).

So talented

bobwjr Level 10 June 13, 2021

@bobwjr

Thank you! After thinking it through step-by-step, I tackled the project.

Happy it worked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:603152
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.