Agnostic.com

12 9

LINK Florida Will Now Force Kids to Observe a 1-Minute “Moment of Silence” in School | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

The bill serves no educational purposes whatsoever, but will let republicans say they put prayer back into schools.

snytiger6 9 June 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Will a minute of silence satisfy theists? Teachers may want five minutes, or twenty.

How about one minute of mental masturbation?

The law implies that and the kids will do it.

The moment of silence is not really used by children to pray (my opinion). I imagine the vast majority of children will use it to relax and maybe think about the upcoming recess.
There are some schools encouraging meditation and mindfulness in this period of silence.

Thinks while waiting for 60 boring seconds: "I must NOT write out 500 times 'Randy Fine is an asshole!' "

Exactly. I remember this when I was in school and many from my day claim to actually remember "real prayer" in schools but now say that the "one minute of silence" is what happened when Madlyn Murray O'Hair brought down the lawsuit. This is not fully true. It is a myth created by the church pastors. Prayer in the classrooms did not exist in my 75 years of life. At least not in schools I attended.

I suppose it's one way to teach fidgity children to be still and reflect. Isn't that one way to identify bullshit?

Makes me remember saying the pledge in grade school.

Just wasting time that’s about it. If only they would focus on economic issues. But that’s like asking a hippo to shit in a toilet.

Just Bible belt doing what they do best bullshit everyone

bobwjr Level 10 June 16, 2021

I like that... Humans are dying everywhere at any moment of silence..... and there is a lot that can be Learned during a 1-minute of Silence.... I reckon you never Shut Up.

If only we could get the republicans to have a moment of silence

A moment of sanity.

Assholes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:603751
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.