Agnostic.com

2 0

Someone recently asked me how important religion is to me. The question got me thinking. Religion in its many manifestations has always had an outsized role in human affairs, and one way or another, we are all affected by it. While I myself am not a believer, many people are, even in this age of modern science. Some people still believe the old myths (and a few new ones), in spite of a total lack of independently-verifiable supporting evidence. Or they at least profess to believe, in order to remain in good stead with their social groups. (This is not unlike Republican politicians who despise Trump but will not openly denounce him for fear of a primary challenge from the extreme right wing of their own Party.) Religious belief is surprisingly persistent, given that many religious dogmas are not only refuted by science, but have historically been the cause of much conflict and senseless bloodshed. You would think that people would wise up. Yet they continue to cling to their superstitions. I find this both fascinating and tragic. Consider this: the single most important support demographic for Donald Trump, a bald-faced liar, malignant narcissist, and incompetent nitwit, is white Evangelical Christians. According to a recent Gallup poll, 81% of WECs voted for the puffed-up cheato in 2020. They supported him in the face of his denial of climate science and efforts to weaken or do away with environmental protections, AND his impeachment for abuse of office, AND his bungling of the COVID pandemic, AND the Mueller report, which detailed at least ten instances of obstruction of justice and could not rule out collusion with the Russians as they meddled in the 2016 election! It was a God-fearing Republucan Senate block that let Cheato off the hook for incitement of the January 6th insurrection. We still have some 53% of (nominally Christian) Republicans saying they believe that the 2020 election was fraudulent, even though Cheato's lawyers are zero for eighty-six in court, and his own hand-picked Attorney General said there is no evidence of widespread fraud. It is no mere coincidence that the same people who believe Trump's big lie also cling to a set of absurd religious beliefs. Both thought patterns spring from the same intellectual flabbiness. And if we lose Democracy in America, if we slide into fascism, it will be on the back of wacky, illogical, and unsupported beliefs. So yes, I have to say that religion/God is somewhat important to me. But not in a good way.

Flyingsaucesir 8 June 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You say,"Religion in its many manifestations has always had an outsized role in human affairs, and one way or another, we are all affected by it."

Are you affected in the role of orphan, widow (er) or one that helps widows and orphans?

Religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Word Level 8 June 21, 2021

When Christans carry out genocide against Muslims (as in the Crusades and more recently in Bosnia/Croatia) I am affected with shame for the human race. And with amazement at the heights of hypocrisy. I'm sure Jesus would not aporove of the things done in his name. When Sunies prosecute genocide against Shiites, or visa versa, millions of refugees hit the road and I am affected. When Christians slaughtered Jews en masse, as in 20th century Germany, relatives of mine were directly affected, I I must have been at least indirectly affected. When Christians expelled all Jews and Moslems from Spain the country became culturally impoverished and horribly backward and corrupt, and then went on to export that corruption to all of Latin America. The refugee problem we are experiencing today from Central America has its roots in religious persecution. And by the way, Social Security and Child Protective Services are secular institutions, and they do fsr more good than relugious ones. You see, people can be without fear of retributiin from an angry God and still do good works, still have compassion and empathy.

@Flyingsaucesir You say,"When Christans carry out genocide against Muslims...." Ishmael first son of Abraham is patriarch to islam. Issac second son father of Jacob(Israel) from which comes the nation of Israel.

Abraham refering to Ishmael and his relationship to brothers.
And he shall be as a wild ass among men; his hand shall be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell over against all his brethren. Genesis 16:12

You say, "I am affected with shame for the human race. And with amazement at the heights of hypocrisy. I'm sure Jesus would not aporove of the things done in his name. "

Did you cry the day old yeller died? Yes, things can be sad and even shameful. Are you familiar with evolutionary processes that bring about population control of a species? I think it's sad for the rabbit that gets eaten by a wolf. Preditor prey interaction, what do you think is in the position of prey or predator for population control of homo sapian?

As written, Jesus said
Matthew 10; 34. "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send [or bring] peace, but a sword."

Pool versus klu klux klan Masonic lodge governmental corruption organization et al Wichita Falls TX and Amarillo TX Federal courts is cases I filled because of "Family protection services " attached my widow mother's business and has ruined the lives of me and my family.

And in part, maybe the smaller part, but still I have ancestry that has been in these lands called Americas since the European invasion of 1492 and the Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshippers freedom from England July 4th, 1776.

@Word
Your point is...?

@Flyingsaucesir self explanatory response to your antecedent statement

Yes it is important for me to know what the fools (aka religious) are up to, but I don't want to drink their koolaid.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:604702
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.