Agnostic.com

6 14

Bird's Brunch Starts Brush Fire

Local news is a kick. "Moose Gets Stuck in Lowe's Parking Lot." Today's newsflash:

One hungry osprey accidentally started a brush fire when its fish brunch apparently caused a electric short Wednesday morning near Peshastin Pinnacles State Park, WA.

Firefighters responded to reports of a brush fire at 9:30 a.m. near a power pole by an orchard between the Wenatchee River and Highway 2/97, said Chief Phil Mosher of the Chelan County Fire District 6.

Crews stopped the fire, which was burning grass and brush, before it grew past an eighth of an acre. They also found a fresh, but toasted, fish on the ground below the utility line pole.

Mosher thinks an osprey grabbed the fish out of the Wenatchee River and then dropped its food off on a pole-top nest.

The fish must have fallen out of the nest and just landed wrong on the power lines. Obviously the fish cannot get up to the top of the pole itself, he said.

Fires have been sparked by items landing on power lines before, he said. But this time a fish just happened to start it. β€œYou don’t see this every day,” he said.

From the Wenatchee World newspaper, July 1, 2021

LiterateHiker 9 July 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It wasn't the bird. It was the power lines.
The fish would have landed and returned to nature just fine if those power lines didn't cause a spark.

@phoenixone1
That exact thing happened near our office up on Mercer Island close to Seattle.
There was a substation in the woods at the end of our building and one day the power went out. When the workers went to check it, they said they found a completely hairless squirrel covered in fine gray powder. I don't imagine it felt a thing.

You just KNOW that if there was ANY kind of intelligence in that squirrels brain...the last thought when it realized it had misjudged the landing...would have been ... "FUUUUUUUUCK" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

When we lived in NM back in the 90's we had a family of squirrels that would chase each other on the powerlines feeding our neighborhood...my oldest son and I were watching them one night and they were being VERY energetic...one of them made a long leap to the telephone pole and landed smack dab ACROSS THE TRANSFORMER CONTACTS...that was the most BEAUTIFUL shade of iridescent green we have EVER seen...when that poor squirrel EXPLODED...πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

The fish was a sign.

The bbq god was pleased.

Terror birds, they took out a cell tower near me a while back.
[kitsapdailynews.com]

LMAO!

Or maybe it was a specially trained flying fish, on a suicide mission.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.