Agnostic.com

5 2

Matching philanthropy?

When you receive a plea for charitable donations with a "If you donate now your money will be matched by --- company" are you more or less likely to donate?
This is a charity I normally donate to and I know that matching is a common practice but it increasingly bothers me.

Donna_I 8 July 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

you could see it as manipulative, but you could see it as taking advantage of an opportunity to increase the help to can bring to some cause you care about. concentrate on those.

I on.y care about how well the charity uses the money it raises to serve genuine human needs. So long as their tactics are honest, I do not care what their tactics are. If their tract

I care more about the effectiveness of the charity, and it intentions, that effect how much and if I give, matching would not have any effect either way.

I don't think threatening to withhold money if I don't donate is a very charitable attitude, attempts to guilt trip me into giving kinda suck.

Yes, a matching pledge does make me more likely to donate. I have conflicting feelings about this, though.

I agree that I will probably donate to the cause again however I feel the 'match request' a blatant tug on the purse strings.

@Donna_I All charitable requests are blatant.

@Lorajay true.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:606742
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.