Agnostic.com

11 7

It is fireworks season again. I hold the wildly unpopular opinion that fireworks are annoying. They can also be unsafe and very frightening to certain people and animals. What do you think?

itsmedammit 8 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And pollution..

But, I do appreciate the smiles it brings to some people in our sad world

I'm with you. I've seen enough to last several lifetimes

I agree and since the fire danger is so high my county has a burn ban AND fireworks ban in place.

Gonna be the quietest 4th EVER! Yeah!

One can only hope.

@JackPedigo It WAS!! My Dad passed on July 4th and sometimes if I'm not careful I get a bit sad (sometimes very sad).

Should be used by experienced people only

bobwjr Level 10 July 4, 2021

Due to the massive heat wave and tinder dry forests, fireworks and campfires are banned in my area. (Chelan County in North Central Washington.)

Ignoring the ban, rednecks buy fireworks on Native American reservations. Irresponsible, selfish male jerks start wildfires around July 4 every year.

Kittitas County also🙂

I like public fireworks. I'm okay with 4th of July. I don't like drunks setting off fireworks all hours of the night when it's not 4th of July

My advice,, skip anyplace with a traditional Chinese New Year celebration. lol

Fireworks can be pretty to look at but annoying to hear especially at 2am. I'm more than fine doing without them.

I would not miss them.

Fireworks have been around in the US for about 250 years. Everybody doesn't like something. People and animals who are anti fireworks should avoid them. I'm guessing that the same people and animals are also anti gunshots but there's no call to ban guns. I suppose if you have a neighbor who is into fireworks you and your animals go somewhere else for the evening. I don't like crying babies myself and when I get to be king there will be no crying babies on airplanes or there will be separate family airplanes. I'm pretty sure that all people and animals who are afraid or don't like fireworks have made it this far and are able to tolerate it and survive it.

lerlo Level 8 July 4, 2021

"Fireworks have been around in the US for about 250 years." And your point? Are you suggesting that is a reason to continue using them? Enlightened folk have dumped a lot of useless traditions.

Do you live in a cave? One cannot escape the annoyance of fireworks. And why should I have to leave my property in a vain search for peace of mind?

Who suggested a ban?

Is stating an opinion the equivalent of crying in your world?

@itsmedammit guess you weren't looking for comments just someone to attack. My point about it being 250 years old is everyone has survived it. Never heard of a dog or animal dying from hearing fireworks or a person who gets annoyed not living through it. There are a few other things to get annoyed about in the world. There won't be anything left in the world if we get rid of everything anyone is annoyed with. Apparently my cave works because unless I go looking for them I do not hear or see fireworks and I'm sure the majority of the country is in the same position. If you consider yourself a crying baby that's fine. My point was they make fucking noise and when I'm trapped on an airplane with them I can't avoid them so I think parents should keep their fucking babies from crying. But they don't seem to care about anybody else. So you might not like fireworks, I don't like crying babies. Guess we'll have to live with them

@lerlo Ah, I misunderstood your comment about crying babies. I thought you were calling me a crybaby. Sorry.

People and animals do get maimed and killed by fireworks. Often, animals will bolt and have been known to become lost or get into sticky situations. A quick Google search, for instance, will show a number of articles about horses who were spooked and subsequently fatally injured themselves.

I'd love to avoid them. And guns. And shitty music. But I can't.

Fireworks can be incredibly entertaining but as are you say often annoying, dangerous, and frightening. Therefore I think a ban is appropriate.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607088
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.