Agnostic.com

3 4

For What Specific Reason(s) Did the U.S. Block China's Access to Advanced Chip-Making Technology?

[nytimes.com]

The Tech Cold War’s ‘Most Complicated Machine’ That’s Out of China’s Reach

"The complex machine is widely acknowledged as necessary for making the most advanced chips, an ability with geopolitical implications... “It’s definitely the most complicated machine humans have built,” an IBM executive said." "

AnonySchmoose 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Industrial espionage?

For sure industrial espionage... I am asking for more information than I know about China, concerning what they could do that will cause disequilibrium for many other developed nations. Want to get the big picture of all the dangers China could pose.

@AnonySchmoose What could they not do, the whole world is digital and runs on the trading of information. State of the art technology, Chinese efficiencies, combined with an inexhaustible work force and a hive mentality could, if they so wished , change the whole world, if they thought it will benefit them.
Don't doubt it, they don't seek disequilibrium, they seek utter cultural and economic domination.

@LenHazell53
Yes, I don't doubt it.
I had a run-in with a Chinese work-study student living across the street, that gave me a preview of that hive domination mentality. Alarmed me.

@AnonySchmoose Most of the Chinese people I know have fled China via Hong Kong, to escape the prospect of Chinese dominance.
China is the only country where communism took a powerful almost religious hold, simply by waiting patiently until almost everyone who recalls what pre communist China was like have died, leaving 3 to 4 generations of people who have known nothing else relentless state propaganda, censorship and government worship since 1949

@LenHazell53
Yikes !!! -- I've watched enough documentaries about the revolution, and historical docudramas about that time period to agree with your assessment about the Chinese government's relentless control.

They steal our intellectual properties and we block their access. This is how business works (or doesn't work).

Yes, they do that. What are the other dangers if China steals our technology?

Why would the US not block China’s access?

Yes, exactly... I am interested in the specifics of how China would be dangerous by possessing that technology.

@AnonySchmoose Increased competitiveness.

@AnonySchmoose Sowing mistrust and civil unrest worldwide, interrupting the running of government, banking, the armed forces. Selling sensitive material, both real and forged, scandal mongering, fake news propaganda spreading, undermining institutions, systemic blackmail. Eventually destroying the perceived reliability of the web altogether, to keep anything private or confidential and crippling international communications and trust.
Information is truth, truth is power, when truth and lies cannot be discerned, there is a power vacuum to be filled.

@LenHazell53 You’ve given us a short course in world history.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:607424
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.