Agnostic.com

23 9

Do you Google?

If someone posts a term, acronym, or topic I'm not familiar with on this, or any site, I Google it.
Only if I can't find it (ie, it's not Googleable) do I then ask for clarification.

Is that not the norm?

scurry 9 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Google is my friend.

As a Google contractor, I can tell you, this is what's up. Yes.

Soooooo, you work for the Devil?

It's how I roll. I find social media acronyms the hardest to track down, though.

The Urban Dictionary is very helpful for those.

@KKGator ROFL, LMAO, YOLO, FFS. 🙂

Sure, ask, you’ve done your due dillegence, if google and context clues don’t do it it’s only polite to be certain the person is properly understood.

Yes, apart from I use Ecosia...for the tree planting benefits.

I don't think I've found anything that google couldn't come up with, but I guess then you would just ask the person who used it. Everyone (for the most part) is nice on here.

Ok - so... is it ok or not ok to reply with a bit of sarcasm when asked for clarification a completely googleable term?
Asking for a friend...?

Copy that. It's a nice community (as you say, for the most part).

@scurry I sometimes refer them to lmgtfy.com

For example: [bfy.tw]

@AdorkableMe that's well worth the click! Thank you!!

@scurry It depends on the question being asked. I don't think being sarcastic is a kind or friendly way to respond and would not choose that route as my answer.

If I post I work for the ABA and you ask "What is the ABA?" it takes less time for me to type the American Bar Association than to say "Duh, you livin' under a rock or somethin' -- doesn't your computer know how to google?"

On the other hand, if somebody were to ask me "What is the breakdown by breed, the number of cases of hip dysplasia in dogs?" Then, I would suggest Google.

I do sometimes if unsure of my memory. I mainly [duckduckgo.com] if i can

Google is more comprehensive though i think.

Yeah, I increasingly don't trust my memory, Barbara.

Is for me, also to check spelling so I don't come across as an illiterate moron.

George, I don't think you could be an illiterate moron if you tried. 🙂

Personally feel the internet has helped destroy my grammar and spelling.

I check the spelling of a word almost daily.

I'll also Google unknown phone numbers to my cell phone. Good way to know if it's spam and then block the number.

If I were in a conversation with someone I wouldnt whip out my computer and google a term they used. I would ask them . People use words in different ways and not always consistent with a dictionary

Of course not, that would be rude.
I was referring specifically to a 'post'.

@scurry I understand. I see it as the same thing

Pretty much the same standard I use.

I would do it

Google: good for so many things. I use it frequently. I think my favorite aspect is GoogleEarth; I can check out trails before I actually go to a place.

I use DuckDuckGo more and more these days. Google is a technology monster, like Facebook, and is an information vacuum cleaner. Unlike FB, which wild horses could not drag me to use, I do use Google, and even have a Google Home. But, I check my account regularly, check all the settings, delete activity, all of it (they still hide and keep some) and I use DuckDuckGo for as many searches as possible.

I had never even heard of DuckDuckGo before this thread. Hmmmmmm......

The google machine and I are very close. I have been buried in Google Scholar for longer than necessary. I’ve even received a “no pages found” response. I was in shock for at least a few minutes and had to show a coworker. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the exact search but I was flabbergasted.

For me, it depends on the situation.

Don Level 5 Apr 20, 2018

Of course. Almost all the time. But, not EVERY time. Sometimes, I'll ask the writer/poster. I do the same thing in real life. Google is an extremely helpful tool.

Among sentient beings yeah. LOL

I have a close relationship with the Google assistant.

Nah...I don't Google...not polite to Google others, haha😉

Watch your language ...

I use Google constantly while online. To verify a statement, to double-check myself. To find the appropriate source. To look for great comeback memes. This is an awesome tool. We have libraries at our fingertips! Damn skippy I Google!

If I am on the computer yes or if i am actually curious then definitely yes.

I don't believe it is the norm...

It does bother me, when someone makes a serious claim and then tells you to google it yourself.

That is a logical fallacy. (Burden of Proof)

A tweet that has stuck with me for a long time.
"Why do people with smartphones ask me questions that Google can answer?"
[twitter.com]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.