Agnostic.com

15 11

Is there a way to like profile pictures?

This is just a thought for people looking for romance. I would think it would be helpful to have the ability to like profile pictures. What do you think? Is a good idea or bad idea?

paul1967 8 Apr 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it's a good idea - even if not looking for romance. For those who hate the idea, it could be one of the notifications of which we could opt OUT.

Well, if you stare at them a really long time and say positive affirmations, I'll bet that would help.

Not that I'm aware of.

I do wish there were ways to admire a picture as some kind of symbol

I welcome laughter at my pics!

So do I!

I find myself trying to do that or like their bios. I may not want to follow them which seems like the only middle option

Hate this idea.

It's on "The List". Hopefully in next couple of weeks.

Admin Level 9 Apr 18, 2018

I think it is a bad idea. It takes us back to the high school days: who's cuter than who? Whose picture has more likes? No one should have to feel that their photo is being judged, any more than that they personally are being judged. I haven't put a picture up because I am not cute and I know that (tho of course I hace other redeeming qualities). And of course, pictures already get judged; it doesn't need to be explicit, for everyone to see. And for anyone who wants to challenge me with, "What? Afraid of a little competition, are ya?" The answer is YES. It's a stressor that I don't need.

thats why I had a cloud and my dog up for a while.

Perhaps we could make it optional, specifically an opt-in setting. @Admin?

@bingst Have to think more about it. The # of likes would be private to the member by default.

You have a very good point. I still like the idea, but based on your point, perhaps a solution is that ONLY the owner of the profile picture can see the likes of others on his/her picture.

Not that I know of. Of course, you could always use Tinder for that.....
However, this site sets itself apart from others by letting you get inside someone's mind BEFORE entering the "getting inside knickers" stage. I would rather see new members being encouraged to join in the banter, discussion and general chatter of this site. Then others may decide whether to follow you, or perhaps arrange a meeting. @SueH123

That's a no. Not possible to like images.

???? You don't like images? Art, whether Leonardo or Rockwell. Great photos such as Ansel Adams. Funny memes or cartoons. Pet pictures. Great quotes with an accompanying appropriate background. Hell, a real sunrise or sunset is an image in your mind! How is not possible to "like" them in many ways?????

@phxbillcee LOL! Jokster in da house.

@IAMGROOT Actually a bit serious. Maybe you meant not possible to like someone just based on their photos, tho we humans, & males especially are usually first attracted by visual cues, & I would agree, that is just an initial attraction & superficial. But you actually stated, "Not possible to like images." I just disagreed with that.

@phxbillcee Actually, I meant it in a purely technical way, which was, I think, the way the question was originally posed. You can't click "like" on pictures here like you can on FB. Perhaps I should have been more explicit in my comment. =]

@IAMGROOT Think we both went in opposite ways. The original question was whether having the ability to 'like' pictures was a good idea, not whether it was possible as things now stand on the site. So, when you,... well, it went from there! LOL

I like that now someone must message you in order to let you know they like your pic. They have had to take that extra step, which adds to the level of their intent. Just tapping a like button makes it too easy. If you like someone, tell them! IMO ?

So if you message someone and don't get a thank you or an acknowledgement of the message can hurt feelings of the sendee. Someone might think your trying to date or meet them, they want no part of you when all you were implying was that you liked their pic.

@buzz13 So, first if the person receiving the message never acknowledged the sender, then they are just rude and you are better off not connecting with them. The idea for liking a pic IS to let the person know you are interested (see many of the other comments) IF that is not what you intend, a message is still better because that can then be explained in the message.

Just send a message you like their pic. Nice pic.

Ditto.

Already asked and answered by @admin in a previous post. They are working on a "hello" button.

I don't even think a Hello button is a good idea. Why can't we take the time to message someone directly instead of clicking on a single button. It's very impersonal.

Not everyone wants to write a message...some just want to quickly express an acknowledgement that they saw/read something. It's the same concept as the "like" button. We can "like" without commenting.

@ArthurPhillips: Some of us enjoy the banter but don't feel inspired to join the discussion at the time.

@Holysocks Never really thought about that. I just think sometimes people use those buttons too easily.

@ArthurPhillips I agree!

Good Idea.

Coldo Level 8 Apr 18, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:60871
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.