Agnostic.com

26 17

What's up with men who are stuck in the 1950s? This is not Mad Men.

Through online dating, I met over thirty men who never learned to cook. Basically, they want a mommy who takes care of them and great sex. Forget it.

Most men do good phone. NOTHING IS REAL UNTIL YOU MEET.

Yesterday Tom, 65, drove from Seattle to take me out to dinner. I brought him peaches from the farmer's market that I bought that morning. In summer and Fall, I give visitors fresh, locally grown fruit.

He ignored what I wrote in my profile: I want a man who also loves hiking. Although I'm a good cook, I want a man who also cooks. Everyone loves the magic words, "Dinner is ready."

"I eat what I loved when I was six," Tom said, refusing a salad with dinner. "I eat hot dogs and hamburgers. I hate salads."

"What did you learn from your two marriages?" he asked. "Never marry a man who hates his mother," I quipped. After thinking about it, I gave a deeper answer. I turned back his question: "What did you learn from your two marriages?" Since I was a human resources director, I'm good at interviewing.

He wants a female SLAVE to do all of the cooking, dishes, cleaning and weeding.

"I'm not interested in learning to cook," he repeated. "Cooking is a basic life skill," I said dryly. "If you can read, you can cook. Most cookbooks even have pictures."

Five years ago, he bought a house in south Seattle. "I only mow the lawn. I hate weeding and refuse to pull weeds. I don't want to take care of the yard. I want a woman who loves cooking, cleaning and gardening."

"This is not the 1950s," I replied. "My ex-husband and I took turns cooking. When Terry cooked, I did the dishes. When I cooked, Terry did the dishes. That's equitable."

"I always date men who also enjoy cooking," I said. "When men say, 'I change the oil in the cars,' that's not like the daily grind of making three meals a day and washing all the dishes. I'm not willing to be a kitchen slave."

"Why are you on dating websites when your second divorce was only six months ago?" I asked. "I like the company of women," he said. BS. He wants a slave.

He doesn't hike. That was the quickest dinner date ever.

LiterateHiker 9 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With all those red flags, why did you even go out with him? It's not like you have a shortage quality men.

@BitFlipper

I didn't find out when we talked on the phone. He did not tell me.

During dinner, I learned it by asking him questions.

@LiterateHiker
Just curious... did you ask him on the phone?

@skado

Don't blame me. He's an oddity, to say the least.

In my profile I wrote:

I want a man who also loves hiking. Although I'm a good cook, I'm not willing to do all of the meal planning, preparation and cooking. Everyone loves the magic words: "Dinner is served."

I figured he read it. I didn't think to ask if he can cook. I assumed he can.

@LiterateHiker
I’m not blaming anybody. Just trying to understand, and maybe offer helpful feedback, which is why I assume you posted it. (correct me if I’m wrong)
If he’s an oddity, it seems that every man you tell us about is an oddity too. I just wonder why the pattern. You seem to be complaining about this particular kind of man over and over. They all turn out to be inferior to you, and you seem to be appalled, disgusted, and want to publicly shame him and/or get sympathy. I just wonder why, if such a repeating occurrence is such a disappointment, why you don’t take the steps available to you to avoid it? If you had asked him those questions on the phone, you could have avoided the whole experience. Yes/no?

@LiterateHiker Oh. I didn't catch the order of events from your write-up.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:608738
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.