Agnostic.com

5 4

Politics in Northern Ireland are heating up. NPR - Marching Orders for Northern Ireland. I heard a comment that Northern Ireland could very well split with the rest of the island within ten years. More clear evidence of how religion destroys.

[npr.org]

JackPedigo 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sad

bobwjr Level 10 July 13, 2021

Not clear to me. Do you really think that if religion were to disappear tonight, humans would have no more tribal identity issues?

“The conflict was primarily political and nationalistic, fuelled by historical events. It also had an ethnic or sectarian dimension, but despite the use of the terms Protestant and Catholic to refer to the two sides, it was not a religious conflict.”

[en.wikipedia.org]

skado Level 9 July 13, 2021

As I have stated below…it’s an oversimplification of the Northern Ireland situation to reduce it to religious difference between Catholics & Protestants. Only those who are long time residents here, but who were not actually born here, such as me, can have the perspective to begin to understand the complexity of our society and it’s divisions, because they are not straightforward by any means.

Actually I agree with you. The core problem is too much demand competing with a shrinking resource base. The prevalent economic idea is constant growth which on a finite planet is not sustainable and will fail. Being on an island things are even more limited. Right now, in our county there is a debate (and I have taken an active part) about our growth management plan. The county wants to re-zone some forested areas into rural farms. Externalaties as our dependence on the ferry system, the power from a submarine cable, local versus imported foods, building supplies and gas, to name a few, are never taken into account. The local saying is "one has to be careful with an island."

@Marionville " Only those who are long time residents here . . . can have the perspective to begin to understand the complexity of our society and it’s divisions"

. . . not disagreeing with that . . .

. . . but IMO, that is a shining example of the kind of "US/THEM"ing that is at the heart of "troubles" between groups everywhere.

@FearlessFly I couldn’t disagree more with your final sentence because nothing could be further from my intentions. You are completely missing the point of what I meant…the people who are born into this society of Northern Ireland are born with built in history of either being a Catholic/nationalist or a Protestant/unionist and with it a naturally born bias for one side or the other. People like me who are incomers without any allegiance to either religion, and who are ambivalent about which country has jurisdiction…but who have lived long term amongst both sides, can see the arguments on both sides and can clearly see and understand what the grievances and problems are. I defy anyone who has not lived here for some considerable time to understand what is going on, especially any mainland British politician, and certainly not anyone native born, because they will always be a product of their environment and personal family history, and that means their perspective is skewed.

The only way to live in permanent peace here is to educate the children together instead of separately, and for all paramilitaries to be shut down and made illegal. We need to share this small space by getting rid of Orange and Green political parties and all the trappings of partisanship associated with marching and flags on both sides and an acknowledgment that we, the people who live here have more in common with each other than with either GB or The Irish Republic. We have a very distinct and separate identity to both.

@Marionville . . . and you have missed my point again

"I defy anyone who has not lived here for some considerable time to understand what is going on"
THAT is the "US" I refer to

"the people who are born into this society of Northern Ireland are born with built in history of either being a Catholic/nationalist or a Protestant/unionist and with it a naturally born bias for one side or the other"
THAT is the "THEM" I refer to

I imagine you will carry on thinking only "US" can solve the "troubles" of "THEM". 😮

@FearlessFly No…I don’t think any such thing - Mr Fly ! I KNOW that only the people who live here can solve the problem…however it’s only people like me that can see and understand both sides of the argument. The implementation of any solution must be done by all members of this community which includes me. I have lived here for nearly 50 years and it is my home too, and one I choose to live in despite all its complex relationship problems.

@Marionville
"I KNOW that only the people who live here"
"it’s only people like me"

Just as I thought, 'US/THEM'ing 😛

It will happen eventually I’m sure of that…however I’d not place any bets on the timescale! I live here in Northern Ireland and it’s much more complicated than anyone who lives outside of this place can ever begin to understand…the British government, especially the current Tory one led by BOJO seem to be pretty clueless to the societal nuances here. The only ones more clueless as to what makes society tick here than the British government is the English electorate who just want us towed out into the Atlantic and sunk! It’s very much oversimplification to reduce this society to merely a religious difference…it is more about national identity…Irish or British. What needs to be promoted and understood is that everyone in this Province has more in common with each other than either the people who live in mainland U.K. or The Irish Republic…we need to unite around a common Northern Ireland identity which we all actually can identify with.

Thank you. I was sure you would give a clearer picture of the true state there. That seems to be a big problem with international reporting. However, the problem may have transcended religion but got started by the different religious bases between the two parts of the country. In the end I suspect the issue has moved into the realm of resource accessibility.

To me, this is clear evidence of how Christians, like Muslims, fight among their sects. A 'Christian' America is a divided and warring America.

That's some crazy shit there..

The majority of people in Northern Ireland do not agree with the DUP on many things. The Good Friday agreement is still very popular. It's a very vocal, and violent, minority that is trying to undo things.

The majority of those who identify themselves as being Unionists agree with the DUP, despite the fact that it was not in their own interests to vote for Brexit..they did because the DUP campaigned for it. Now they complain about the imposition of a border in the Irish Sea, when it was always self evident that if a land border with the EU was to be avoided to safeguard the terms of the Good Friday Agreement, then there would have to be one elsewhere…i.e. in the sea! Now they’re complaining that it makes us less British than the mainland…that I’m afraid was always the case because we’re part of a different land mass called Ireland not Great Britain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609168
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.