Agnostic.com

12 13

I posted elsewhere that still wearing my Covid mask keeps old men from hitting on me, and this morning proved it. I was sitting in Braum's eating my ice cream (sans mask, of course), when an old fart spoke to me; I responded with a greeting in return, and PLOP he sat down at my table. He sat there for 10 minutes, at least, and while I told him that I am a recluse and preferred being alone, it didn't phase him. I could have told him to leave, but decided that I could wait it out rather than force the issue.

He said he was a trucker and I was relieved as that meant that he was only passing through. I made the mistake of saying that I eat ice cream every third day, and he calculated my next day would be Friday. He said his route takes him Springfield everyday, and he would look for me on Friday. I smiled, but his announcement guaranteed that I would not be there on Friday.

Then, he showed up in Walmart as I was checking out! No, he wasn't following me (I don't think); he had some things to buy (he said). He managed to insult the young cashier at the self check-out, though, by telling her that she dyes her hair. Who even says shit like that? (And it was obvious that she does not.)

To make a longish story short, it is annoying that some men cannot understand that because women are friendly, it does not mean that they are interested in said men. Some men need to better read signals, i.e. a woman saying, "I am a recluse and I have no friends and prefer to be alone." I KNOW that if this guy saw me on Friday, he would get around to asking me out to lunch or dinner and/or he would make a special trip back to Springfield for the occasion. It is easier to change my ice cream plans than to handle the issue by other means.

The assumptions that some men make are annoying--and they can become dangerous.

Gwendolyn2018 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think he was very rude but also inappropriate to came and sit at a table with someone without being invited especially since the COVID rate is so high in that part of Missouri. I would just buy some ice cream and eat at home for a while.

So sorry sweety that you had to endure that, not everyone is a asshole

bobwjr Level 10 July 13, 2021

@Gwendolyn2018 Glad it wasn't so bad

lol "his announcement guaranteed you would not be there on Friday"...lmao
This is why I don't say anything to females I like anymore. It's not worth taking a chance saying something to a woman who has batshit Karen characteristics. Racist/corrupted cops + batshit Karens = death and suffering.

They are desperate and boring as hell, trolling for company, ick! I wouldn't mind talking to an interesting stranger, but then I would be really frightened that he would be a serial killer. I guess it's better to just be blunt as you can be.

To your point about dying hair. I walked through the local street market yesterday and there was a woman with bright multicolored hair. I stopped her and told her I liked her hair. She smiled then I asked, "How did you do that?" to which she said "I bought it."

@Gwendolyn2018 Obviously, the guy is a jerk. I figure I am 70 years old and am harmless, so if I think someone is beautiful or has great hair, I say so. I smile and wait to make sure they take the comment as a good thing. I would never say something to hurt someone. It seems the world is full of stupid and people who are assholes, unfortunately, they cannot just be made to vanish.

When he didn't leave after your comment, that was your signal to pick-up and find another seat. By continuing to stay seated with the creep, you validated his aggression.

@Gwendolyn2018 That's the problem isn't it? We shouldn't have to respond and go another mile because people are maliciously stupid. We say we'll educate them and help them learn some lesson, but they have chosen ignorance. Yes, we should not have to take on the burden they create, but if we don't return assertiveness for their aggression, we will be overrun.

On the other hand, some men are like snakes, once they sight prey, flight may result in a chase. Maybe staying put was appropriate. Sorry to hear of your experience.

After he sat down you could have told him you didn't want him there. And considering how often this happens to attractive women, I'm surprised that someone hasn't developed a very brief verbal rebuff for a situation like this.

Bear in mind that men do not experience unwanted attention from women, and thus have no opportunity to understand how it is for you.

Or, you could just keep complaining about it.

You could always test the theory. Go sit in the ice cream parlour all day Friday. If you get asked out, it is easy enough to say, “no, thank you”. Report back.

My daddy ran for sheriff when I was two and I was taught to smile at everyone and still do. I don't think I could ever give that up. Fortunately my attractiveness has waned enough it hasn't caused me any problems lately.

I can tell myself that every woman wearing a mask is smiling at me.

Just for fun.

Exactly.

I like wearing a mask because I can smile at young woman without being a creep. Can't help getting old, but I can help not getting old and creepy. Yeah, lots of guys are wilfully clueless.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609216
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.