Agnostic.com

14 0

If you're having a personal crisis and family or friends say "I'll pray for you" how do you respond?

RCRX87 4 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

u could do what i do

its pretty aggressive but effective

i respond by saying "thanks ill fuckin pray for u too!"

No members of my family are crazy enough to accept any god claim. Those of my friends who might say that to me cease to be my friends upon the instant. In the latter case it would depend on the depth the crisis and might go so far as "Stop trying to ram your genocidal maniac of a god down my throat!".

I'd be honest and say "I'd rather you not, but if you feel that strongly, then please do so in silence, because having to listen to prayers would make me even more upset." I prefer to handle any crisis with human reason, compassion, self reflection and time. I don't want to perpetuate belief in supernatural deities.

I would say I appreciate it ,thanks.

Depends on who it is but some people I would just tell that your prayers may make you feel better but they won't help me one damn bit.
Others I would just thank.

I politely nod and say ok they mean well no need to be mean

bobwjr Level 10 July 13, 2021

You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

If I'm put off by a well-meaning expression of sympathy merely because it contains elements of a worldview that I don't believe in, my personal crisis probably isn't terribly severe. I just thank people for their kind words.

Won't work but sure can't hurt

bobwjr Level 10 July 13, 2021

I shine it, no point in opening Pandora’s box, I just say nothing at all to encourage it. You can tell when they mean well, it feels different when they’re manipulating you, if I say something it’s when I feel manipulated.

I’d say “thank you, that would be kind”…but it would only be a stranger or someone of very slight acquaintance who would say that to me, because all close friends and family know I don’t believe in god.

Ummmm, "thanks"?

I take it in the spirit it was offered. If it was offered in lieu of offering help, I just ignore it, if it was offered with the expectation that I would seek and receive help from them, I thank them, then if they can actually be of help, I might ask them for it. If it was offered because they didn't know how to respond, but want to say something, I thank them and go on.

Hopefully they won't have an reason to pray for me.

barjoe Level 9 July 13, 2021

what could be the point of making a response?

In my case it would depend on just how peeved I was feeling at the time at the general stupidity that seems to pervade much of humanity.

@anglophone so, no real point, just blowing off steam.

@hankster That, as well as trying to get some common into some thick skulls.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:609231
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.