Agnostic.com

7 3

Suppression of information, even misinformation, is a bad idea. Much better to discuss "misinformation" openly.

[reason.com]

PBuck0145 7 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I concur.

It's debatable.

Tons of information are routinely suppressed. If misinformation became the target of suppression, so much the better. People are not competent (sufficiently rational and dispassionate) to openly discuss why disinformation is wrong. People embrace their lies with an iron grip.

Only if the people who welcome misinformation also welcome discussion, which is a big ask. But certainly suppression is a worse idea.

@wordywalt @hankster
Censorship invariably results in the opposite of its intended objective.
[en.wikipedia.org]

If you mean having the freedom to disprove and condemn misinformation, I agree. If not, I disagree.

nope. not when lies are being presented as truth involving public health and it's costing lives? the discussions you mention have already been aired.

Are you a "good guy"?

@PBuck0145 there are no good guys, but there are some bad ones. you can call it censorship. I'll just call it silencing idiots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610080
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.