Agnostic.com

11 31

Today's hike: Buck with small female harem. "There go my friends."

Karen and I hiked early in shady Squilchuck State Park. Today's high is 100-degrees. With volunteers, Evergreen Mountain Bicycle Alliance built wonderful trails in the park and across WA State. We explored a newly-open, extremely challenging trail.

We chatted with two men who build trails. A Mule Deer buck and four females ran by.

"There go my friends," Matthew said. "This year while I worked on this new trail, the deer got used to me. They grazed nearby as I worked. I often saw them in different parts of the park."

"One day, the buck was walking toward me on a trail," Matthew said. "He stopped, lowered his head and squared off in a threatening stance. He raised his head and sniffed the air. He visibly relaxed because he recognized my scent."

"It took four years to build this trail," Matthew said. "We're not done. Washington State is supposed to make trail signs. (They haven't yet.) I'll probably make the signs myself."

"I got my 14-year-old daughter to help build the rock trails," Matthew laughed. "Boy, was she tired at the end of each day!" Some rock trails fit together beautifully like jigsaw puzzles.

Bear sign

"This stump shows sign of bear," Karen said, stopping. "See how the bear tore apart the stump searching for insects and grubs?"

Phone slid out of my pocket

When I pulled down my pants to pee, my phone fell out of the pocket and hit the dirt. Glad I saw it! Several women hikers we know lost their phones this way. Twice.

We hiked six miles with over a thousand feet of elevation gain.

When I got home, I firmly sewed in two large snaps to hold the pocket shut. Dropped my drawers and the phone stayed put. Shook the pants upside-down. Victory!

Photos:

1. Mountain ridges from a high trail.

2. Pine Drop flowers. Pine Drops are the last flower to pop out of the ground.

3. A bear tore apart this stump looking for grubs.

4. Beautiful rock-work on a trail using materials at hand. This section of trail goes across a steep rock slide.

LiterateHiker 9 July 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting conversation. Good idea on the pants.

I saw a male and female dear eating the leaves on a maple tree stump, in my yard, looking out my window I see them here every once in a while this is eastern forest here, maples, elm walnut trees, when I lived in the upper peninsula of Michigan the dear would come on to the back of the property and eat, they had an animal park there in Michigan where the dear would come up to you and you could feed then right out of your hand, great photos as always I lived near the Mount Baker area there in Washington I seen them in the yard too come up

ml58n2 Level 7 July 18, 2021

Sounds like exciting times. Around my place I am doing small piddly things and the current temp is 77 degrees inside and out. I keep my mobile about that temperature and my friend thought something was wrong when I bought another Windmachine fan by Lasko. Nothing wrong at all. They are quiet and move 18 % more air. I have an AC and not a "cold machine." This is why my current electric bill is $81 this month. My 2 Windmachine fans help make this possible.

I always like your pics. I hope you can gather all your hikes and possibly sell some of them.

I wish that I was up there, I would be all over in those woods, when I was in Germany there were all kinds of woods and Forests and I would get high on hash and just wander all over in them for hours just following trails. Miss that.

Excellent

bobwjr Level 10 July 18, 2021

I have been wondering for years what the name of the pine drop flowers were. Thanks

@glenlab

Here's a dried Pine Drop with newly fallen snow.

I took this at Squilchuck State Park.

Beautiful pictures.

You sure have some stamina to hike in that heat. 🥵 Always love your pictures and writing.

@Redheadgammy

It was cooler in the shade. I clarified the wording to:

Karen and I hiked early in shady Squilchuck State Park. Today's high is 100-degrees.

I appreciate your kind words about my writing and photos.

Wow, nice you can tolerate hiking in such high temperatures. I hate hiking or Mt biking when it is over 80F.

@Robert_2001

I clarified the wording to:

Karen and I hiked early in shady Squilchuck State Park. Today's high is 100-degrees.

Sewists always know how to solve wardrobe problems. Looks like a nice day. Love the pine drop flowers!

@MsKathleen

What do you mean? "Sexists always know how to solve wardrobe problems?"

As a feminist, I'm not sexist nor misogynist. That doesn't make sense.

@LiterateHiker lol, that was an auto-correct error, which I have now human-corrected. No personal commentary as to your philosophy.

One of my biggest fears in life is losing my phone. I'm glad you noticed when yours fell out. Your pictures are so beautiful!

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:610140
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.