Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK 80-year-old woman sentenced for killing husband who abused her for 50 years

This is where "the battered woman" defense should apply. It's too bad the Betty Brodericks and many many others, of the world, made a valid defense an excuse for bad/lethal behavior, thereby causing jury mistrust of anyone who claims abuse.

There's also an ignorance attached to this. People think you can't be deathly afraid of a sleeping person. I personally (decades ago now) was often times paralyzed in fear, by a sleeping person. He was a monster. When he was sleeping was at times, the only time I thought about killing him. I didn't do it, but I think I might have, in time, had I not had a baby that needed me. 🤔🤔🤔 I would've likely done it when he was sleeping. shrugs

SeaGreenEyez 9 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's very rare that I envy anyone in public office. In this case I find myself envying the Governor of Nebraska. If I was in his position, I would have signed the pardon papers before the judge held the sentencing hearing.

There is no reason to put your hands on a woman in a violent fashion!

@SeaGreenEyez Sadly I too know a woman that continuously abused her spouse until ultimately she killed him.

Bullshit sentence

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2021

One very sad reality is that many victims of abuse don't believe anyone can help them. They don't have faith in the justice system.

Unity Level 7 July 22, 2021

@altschmerz my Mom was a victim of Dad's violent abuse, which we (5 kids) witnessed, the cops just said "oh well"...that was in the 50s..seems nothings changed..😡😡

Of course they tossed Her in the slam, SHE ain't a White Man..

Where were all of these cuddling family members when this fuckwit was beating up grandma for 50 years?
Not enough details in this article.
I was a victim of spousal abuse for 5 and a half years, I got out after that time, I cannot imagine anyone staying and tolerating abuse for 50 years.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:611002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.