Agnostic.com

6 0

I believe that America is on the pathway of the Swedes in regard to religion and marriage: No marriage. No gods. Not soon enough, in my opinion.

GambaBabe 4 Dec 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

right on

I blame the fact that so many young women are dreaming of weddings (not realizing that a wedding is NOT marriage) on Disney and those stupid television shows about weddings. In fact, I think there should be a class action lawsuit against Disney because so many little girls are taught to wait around for "Prince Charming."

I’d thunk the same ...until last November.. Our Supreme Court is gone, again. And I’ve been waiting for ‘our youth’ to take control now for decades… It appears to me that the US no longer leads, will fall further behind other nations, then reluctantly attempt to ‘keep up’ with their progress. I know, some nations are legging behind ‘us,’ for now - but catching up fast.
Marriage.. A tuff call. Don’t think I’ll ever do it again, but had refused to take the advice of others not to. A very costly adventure ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 1, 2017

I'm sure you've seen the studies showing the correlation between religiosity and well being. They speak loudly, but not enough folks are listening. At any rate, yes, the ball appears to be rolling in the right direction and gaining speed, but we have a long way to go and a lot of paradigms to bend or break before we get there. In the meantime, keep the 'faith'.

One could hope religion is on its way out.

I do think marriage does have a purpose in society. I think the legal protections of entering into a legal relationship, outweigh any detriments. I do think however that both parties shoudl be given equal status and equal power lgeally, which is nto always the case at present.

What's wrong with marriage? I think it is wonderful to form relationships and partnerships and if one stands out so far ahead of the rest, I think it is empowering and refreshing to declare it a marriage. I am not talking about legal and religious definitions either, just the idea of saying:

"I 'believe' in this relationship like I 'believe' in gravity. I think it is for the rest of my life and nothing will beat it."

As a divorced man, I realize I was wrong the first time around and I'll be cautious, but I still think there is something great about the idea. It may be a poly amorous relationship or gay, straight, whatever the details, it's irrelevant. The idea of finding a romantic arrangement you can rely on and see as "permanent" sounds wonderful.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6111
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.