Agnostic.com

6 1

Patriotism vs Pacifism ...Thoughts ?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This Is My Song
lyrics by Lloyd Stone and Georgia Harkness
composure Jean Sibelius as Finlandia

This is my song, O God of all the nations,
a song of peace for lands afar and mine;
this is my home, the country where my heart is;
here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine:
but other hearts in other lands are beating
with hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country’s skies are bluer than the ocean,
and sunlight beams on cloverleaf and pine;
but other lands have sunlight too, and clover,
and skies are everywhere as blue as mine:
O hear my song, thou God of all the nations,
a song of peace for their land and for mine.

May truth and freedom come to every nation;
may peace abound where strife has raged so long;
that each may seek to love and build together,
a world united, righting every wrong;
a world united in its love for freedom,
proclaiming peace together in one song.+

+Third stanza by Georgia Harkness.

Patriotism and pacifism are not mutually exclusive.

Too often "patriotism" is used to justify wars that only profit/benefit a few persons. The reasons are more economic than they are sovereign or for protection of citizens.

As an example, George W. Bush started a war with Iraq, saying they had "weapons of mass destruction" as an excuse, which most people in the know knew was not true. The end result of the war is that Iraqi oil production is now controlled by British and American oil companies, which was the actual purpose of the war. Iraq was no real threat to the U.S., they just wanted the oil.

This is my take on the Gulf War. No money initiated the conflict, but it nicely paid for it. GW Bush attacked Iraq because his father was limited. Bush Jr wanted to even the score. He felt like his father had been mistreated. Revenge.

It is not either or. A true patriot chooses to avoid conflict if at all possible within he bounds of morality and concern for human dignity and bell-being. Sometimes truly evil actions, ideologies, and men force moral people to defend ourselves and others from deliberate attempts to hurt and.or control us.

Patriotism can be micro or macro, eg. a country or the world. It would appear that the more marco your view of Patriotism the more Pacifist leaning.

mzee Level 7 Dec 1, 2017

I'm a pacifist. Can't help it. My patriotism doesn't run very deep either. I love my country and my life, but am just as happy or maybe happier in another country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6113
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.