Agnostic.com

3 9

LINK Letters From An American 07/30/2021

This will be very brief because I am without power again, and am operating on a generator that is undoubtedly keeping the neighbors awake.

Today, the Department of Justice ruled that the Treasury Department can release to Congress six years of former president Trump’s tax returns. Trump was the first president since Richard M. Nixon to refuse to disclose his taxes, and the House Ways and Means Committee requested them in April 2019.

The fight to obtain Trump’s tax returns has stretched on for years, and it has finally been resolved in a way consistent with the law that covers this case, which says: “Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary [of the Treasury] shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.”

It remains possible that Trump will contest this decision in court. If he does not, Congress will finally have access to Trump’s tax returns.

Incredibly, after all these years, this is not today’s big story.

Today’s bigger story is that the House Oversight Committee released notes taken by the acting deputy attorney general Richard Donoghue during a phone call between former president Donald Trump and acting attorney general Jeffrey Rosen on December 27, 2020. Rosen took over at the Department of Justice after Attorney General William Barr left on December 14.

The notes record how the former president tried to get the Department of Justice to say that the 2020 election was “corrupt” in order to overturn it. In the call, Trump listed the many ways in which he believed the results were false, insisting that the election results in Pennsylvania, Georgia, Nevada, Arizona, and Michigan all were “corrupted” and said it was statistically impossible for him to have lost the election.

Rosen “Told him flat out that much of the info he is getting is false, +/or just not supported by the evidence… we looked at allegations but they don’t pan out.”

When Rosen told the former president that the Department of Justice “can’t and won’t snap its fingers + change the outcome of the election, doesn’t work that way,” Trump said: “Don’t expect you to do that, just say the election was corrupt and leave the rest to me and the R[epublican] Congressmen.”

The January 6 insurrection was ten days later.

HippieChick58 9 July 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry to hear about losing power. Is there a problem in your city?

Of course the big problem with a pathological liar is they soon come to believe their own lies. He undoubtedly believes his own lies.

There's a interesting new series on Netflix titled "How to become a Tyrant." Having a compliant group of followers is critical. Unfortunately, part of the recipe includes hard times and deprivations. We are experiencing those times and I suspect they will get worse.

The author of this post lives somewhere in Maine and on a lake, I believe. From having read her blog for several months being without power is not unusual.

@HippieChick58 Oops, my mistake. I wondered about the real author and was a bit confused when I saw yu name. These days seems I too rushed. This is a busy time here especially whith getting ready for my daughters visit. Still, the nNtflix video is very enlightening.

trump's brand of corruption was allowed to feaster for four years. Two attempts were made to fix the problem to no avail, due in part to the GOP. I should think it is clear at this point the problem was not entirely trump. The GOP is also exposed and continues to be a threat to democracy in America.

The smoking gun is laid bare..now let's point the DoJ at Trump head..hang the Nazi..

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:612764
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.