Agnostic.com

6 11

LINK NC Lawmakers, Noting Their Own Hypocrisy, Don’t Want to Ban Child Marriage | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

In North Carolina, pregnant 14 year olds are allowed to marry as are non-pregnant 16 year olds.

snytiger6 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I married at 16. He was 20. My mom had to sign for it, of course. I read something about child marriages where the girl was raped by the man and she was forced to marry him by the parents or ministers or both. It made me think of my own marriage. When we went to the Crawford county clerk for the marriage license, not once did anyone ask me if I wanted to get married- i would have said yes because I was stupid- and it made me realize how this happens. Several states have voted down proposed laws banning child marriage. Marriage should be illegal until at least 18, no matter what.

If the girls ( too young for women) were under the age of consent it's statutory rape unless the male was also underage

Let’s see what their reaction would be if it were one of their own.

The stupidity and hypocrisy.

Unbelievable

They need to get there heads out the past.

Stop all this please. It is not right. I once married a 16 year old. She was not pregnant at the time and today I would have to think this out in a serious way. I was 24 and dumb. Two daughters did come out of this union but the marriage did not last.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613542
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.