Agnostic.com

12 3

QUESTION Why Are We Constantly Waiting On Time To Pass ?

The average life spand in the united states is around 78 years if we are of decent health.

78 years of life is very short when compared to eternity.

As a society, we often exist by hoping time passes very fast to achieve certain goals or tasks.

For Example:

Waiting on Pay Day, Waiting on a new Movie to open,
Waiting on an item to go on sale.
We are all guilty of this on some level.

Please tell me, Why do you think we are constantly rushing Time?
Since the average lifespan is 78 years, should we be so preoccupied with the passage of time?

What are your Thoughts?

"Click The Question On Top For A Link"

twshield 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It keeps the peasants from thinking too much and rioting.

I think a lot of it is that people are trained to want the new best thing, so waiting for it to come out or they have goals that they think they need to reach to be accepted

Because I can't afford that next ticket to Aus. until I've got the cash! But I'm trying to enjoy the days before I go too.

You know I'll be here to meet you at the airport!

The restrictions of the industrial society, trying to synchronise everybody. I think the trick is to be constantly doing htings. Filling the gaps with other actions, not waiting for something else.

I ask myself that question from time to time. I try hard not to do it. Maybe in more primitive times we had to constantly think of our future, so our brains evolved to be like that. "Mindfulness" is gaining popularity because more people are realizing this human flaw.

I take one day at a time whenever I can. Future is not guaranteed so live for today.

Time is neither here or there
Time is a void of space
Time waits for no one
I experience every second of that moment

Rosh Level 7 Apr 19, 2018

It's a strange question, really. It's the frame of reference I don't think I agree with. We're not necessarily "waiting" for those future events to occur if waiting means stopping all other activities in the meantime. In fact much of the time it is the longing and dreaming of those events that keep us motivated to move forward. I don't see this as "rushing time." One can live in the moment and still long for the future.

Really? I never think I can manipulate or master time. I prefer Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's ideas on flow and use of time.

I have a friend who used to moan and groan when each holiday season would approach - her favorite line was always "If I can just get through all of this".....everything was just so stressful for her - she couldn't wait for it to all be over and done. A few years ago her husband committed suicide - and her son is busy with his own family so her holidays now are very, very quiet....and lonely. Truly a case of be careful what you wish for.

Because it is what we are taught.
Waiting in line is terrible.
Performing 'work' is exhausting.

No one teaches us to use the time in line to think of all the things you are grateful for or to plot the next steps into my amazing future.

No one teaches us that to 'love a job' means that you don't have to love every part of it, but you parts you do love make up for the parts you don't.

If you are waiting for time to pass so you can live in the future, then you are not really living in the present. Take control of your life in the Present, because the future may just be more of the same

Yes I can see how you want to speed up the clock and begin a new life. @twshield

" Time waits for no man " thats why we chase it. much like a bus that waits for no one, we chase it.   Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61355
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.