Agnostic.com

13 16

Online Dating Vocabulary: What You Need to Know.

Honestly, I wish I didn't know most of this.

Fun, adventurous, open-minded — These have been hijacked by the online dating community. Typically refers to sex. Just add “in bed.”

Sapiosexual — This has become the newest craze and it’s got a few different definitions. I define it as someone who is attracted to intelligence. Folks incorrectly assume a sapiosexual doesn't care about physical attraction. Au contraire! I am attracted to intelligent men but also need to feel a physical attraction.

Active Lifestyle – Yes, it might honestly mean that he’s an outdoorsy dude or spends a lot of time at the gym/playing sports and wants to be upfront about that. This guy might be a triathlete, cross-fitter, bicycle racer, or have some other athletic hobby that takes up a large chunk of his life.

It also might mean that he leads a busy lifestyle and is looking for someone who prefers to be on-the-go rather than a homebody.

Divorced - It’s best to double-check this one. Some guys put “divorced” when they are technically separated.

Looking for fun — This guy has just given himself a free pass to treat you like an object and dismiss you when he wants. You will have zero say in the matter. I avoid this dude at all costs. If you’re into a one-night stand or a brief fling, he's perfect.

Looking for a FWB (friend with benefits) — Take this guy at his word. He wants a f-ck buddy. He is never going to make a commitment to you. This might be fine if you don’t want a commitment either.

Looking for fun but open to something more serious — This guy is typically full of it. I have yet to meet a single guy who has written that in his profile decide to enter anything resembling a relationship.

Separated - Married.

No Photo - Married and looking for sex.

Single (never married)- A commitment-phobic, lifelong bachelor. Hard pass.

Looking for a LTR (long term relationship) — This guy is probably sincere. When I have interacted with guys who say they are looking for a something more serious, I found them to be true to their word.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You are too tough with singles. Not everyone wants to be married. I hate mixing emotions and a contract like a marriage. However, I was in a 20-year long relationship. Happy until it ended.

@Roxbb78

What makes you think I want to get married? I refuse to live with a man again. Too much of a burden.

In a committed, loving relationship, I insist on monogamy. Don't want to be exposed to STDs.

It is painful to love an emotionally constipated, commitment-phobic man. Say "I love you" and he panics and runs. I speak from experience.

Enough to give someone a headache

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 11, 2021

I have never tried online dating, and don't plan to, but I have heard similar lines from guys in person. I have always interpreted men saying, "Looking for fun but open to something more serious" as meaning I'll have sex with you, hang out at your house, let you cook for me, and maybe have you occasionally do my laundry - until somebody I like better comes along.

Deb57 Level 8 Aug 11, 2021

I like ice cream !!!

twill Level 7 Aug 5, 2021

pretty much. There's other things I've noticed. Why I don't bother anymore

Good definitions. I’ll have to review what I have put out there. I think it’s looking for a LTR but I may have other signals I have left too.

As with most things, when you generalize, there are going to be exceptions. Take my case.

I had something very similar to "Looking for fun but open to something more serious" in my profile. It turned out that I was actually "looking for something serious but open to fun". I found myself getting more emotionally involved than the women I was dating. I've concluded that I can't do "fun", I guess I'm all or nothing; but putting that in a dating profile seems to scare women off for some reason. At least, until I put in that I was open to something "fun", I got very few responses.

I also observed that many women seem to be looking for someone who wants to make a commitment, but it makes them nervous when you come right out and say so.

The Sapiosexual is a myth. Nobody experiences sexual arousal from being near an intelligent person, there is always something else at work.

The appropriate term is Sapiophile, which is ATTRACTION to intelligence. That attraction can be part of a set of attractions.

That's not true. I myself have become physically aroused when a lady made a reference to the series Firefly. If that isn't sapiosexual, I'd like to know what is.

Here is the bottom line. MEN ARE EASY. Most of us will fall over, roll on our backs, and play dead for any female who can stay awake long enough to give the orders. Therefore it follows that any man who is on a dating service, is a reject who has been passed over by the last thousand and a half women who met him and could not get out of the door fast enough.

Good men are rare, and it is in the nature of life that all of them will already be taken. Therefore if you want a good man, the only way to get one, is to murder his wife.

@Fernapple

With online dating, it feels like I'm dealing with leftovers. Many divorced men were dumped for a darn good reason. Unwilling to change, they take the same bad behavior to the next relationships.

The last guy I talked with had no visible sense of humor. He repeatedly lectured me on history. It was tiresome. I see why his wife left him.

@LiterateHiker Seriously, perhaps the best way to find a good partner, is to cultivate the widest possible circle of high quality friends of your own sex. (Applies to both men and women.) Because few people can resist the thrill of matchmaking, and you then get to find the best choices in your circle of like minded people as soon as they become available.

Actually when I did online dating I'm pretty sure I met some very nice guys. I also met some rejects.They just didn't happen to appeal to me or I didn't happen to appeal to them. Of course at my age some of them are widowers. Widowers are not real rejects. My girlfriend kept telling me I needed to at least date any of them twice because the first date everyone is so nervous it is hard to really know someone. I'm trying to remember if I ever said yes to that second date with any of them and the answer is no. There was never any spark, electricity or attraction and it was true that they all seemed to be into monologues.

@LiterateHiker, @Fernapple if women were less interested looks, power, and bravado, they might encounter more "good" men.

@Lorajay That is sad, I know when I was newly widowed the message went round the grape vine, and in no time I had three lady friends, who all wanted to date me in pretty quick time. But I was not ready and we soon moved on, and I guess that eventually the grape vine was sending out the message, that I was not interested. Which in some ways was a shame because a couple of years down the line, I easily could be. But it is because of that personal experience, that I recommended enlarging the grape vine by cultivating more friends, as perhaps the best way forwards.

@BitFlipper

Don't generalize about women.

My first husband Tim looked like a Troll doll. Tim was brilliant and hilarious. He was my best friend at the University of Michigan.

@Fernapple the numbers are against women because we live longer than men so there are a lot more single women in my age group than there are men. Add in a liberal atheist in one of the reddest states in America and that leaves only two guys and they're both married LOL. Then there's the three others that I'm not interested in but they're interested enough in me they're not about to find me a date.

@Lorajay And there is a whole ocean between us, or I would be on the next bus. But never give up hope, and remember, one good friend is worth a thousand poor lovers.

That is good to know. Also, "married, but living separately" does not mean separated! I dated one of those for a couple of months before I found that one out.

A man who will lie to his wife isn't going to be honest with any woman he intends to cheat with on said wife. And once you know a man lies about anything to anyone, how can you possibly tell when he's not lying? And why would you ever want to waste a minute of your time playing that ceaseless guessing game?

I've found that a lot of people really are sappy sexuals.

online dating stinks. ain't nothing like hanging out at the bowling alley.

I cannot keep track of all the different meaning a word may have, then it is a good thing I am married and not interested in any other relationship, what do you want me dead!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.