Agnostic.com

4 0

Mans best friend at the mercy of mankind's worst enemy?

Austin-Cambridge 8 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Those who make comments about people eating dogs in China grossly exaggerate the extent of it. Its not like you can pop into a local restaurant and order grilled or deep fried dog. Of course, it happens but usually through a contact who knows somebody who knows somebody that will serve you cooked dog.

You are more likely to be served cooked donkey meat in a local restaurant. I have lived in China for extended periods during the past 12 years.

It was more a pop at their regime than their eating habits but it sparked some interest! 😀

Asian countries don't have the "room" to raise cattle so they eat dogs.

Yes their meat and diary farms are very small in size which is the reason most of their meat was/still is imported from Australia. Most of their vegetation grow on roof tops except of course for rice farms and tea plantations.

@TimeOutForMe Most the vegetables grown in China do not grow on rooftops. I have visited farms and know that not to be the case. There are huge greenhouses which grow tomatoes and other vegtables late into the month of October

The Chinese do not consume a lot of dairy products but they import dairy products, milk and cheese and butter etc which are available in most big supermarkets in China.

@ASTRALMAX it is slowly becoming the increasing trend due to lack of space and population growth. I ve seen a documentary on it on BBC last year. I didn't say ALL grow on rooftops but here's a few links.

[sixthtone.com]

Rooftop farming arrives in Chengdu, China — City Farmer News
[cityfarmer.info]

So doing the same to a pig is like what better?
Pigs are as smart and loving as dogs.
Honestly I wouldn't play this hand unless I was a vegan or at least a vegetarian if I were you.
Don't get me wrong, I'm neither vegan or vegetarian and I've ate a lot of animals, but honestly while I still eat animals I can't bitch at other people for eating other types of animals unless it's an endangered species.

Exactly.

Yup. This.
Plus, unless the vegans are growing their own vegetables, their purchase of big Ag veggies results in a lot of animal suffering and death. The most impactful thing you can possibly do to reduce future suffering of animals is not have children. The same is true for protecting the environment.

I agree. Some who eat pig condemn people for eating dog just because the dog is your pet. Why keep one as a pet and eat the other?...why fuss about dogs kept in a cold room like sheep and pigs but you don't question how the pig was killed before you devoured it on your plate?

@TimeOutForMe Agreed. I hate how people are legally allowed to smash the window of your car if your dog is inside, but you're allowed to torture a chicken, cow, or pig every day of its life until you brutally kill it and eat it without anyone batting an eye.
He does realize he lives in a country that has produced an average of over 100 MILLION pounds of VEAL over the past 13 years, right?

@JeffMurray
Here's some stats on leading veal producers.

[statista.com]

Why don't you try being a Vegan for a month?? You might find it rewarding. I've been a Vegan for about 15 years and it is one of my best life decisions.

India says the same shit about us...

So "we" cage, kill, cook and eat Indians, first I've heard of that!

@Austin-Cambridge I assume you're trying to be funny?

I don't know when it came about that Hindus are not supposed to eat beef when cow dung is used for energy and also organic fertilizer. They say the cow is sacred perhaps because of what they provide. When you pose the question why they don't eat beef but drink the cows milk, they'll say "we drink our mother's milk but don't kill our mother. ...yet they eat goat that provides milk. ...and if you ask them why they eat lamb and not pig when both graze on grass, and pigs diet also consists of corn, fruit and vegetables, they'll say pigs are dirty and that's when I would say BS because that idea came when the moguls occupied India for hundreds of years. ...not that I eat beef, pork or goat but they're in contradiction with their reasons. Religion is the culprit for their hunger. Off course I know more than half of India's population are vegetarian.

@TimeOutForMe There's no shortage of bad reasoning all around the globe, but that includes the US and vegans and vegetarians as well. So the fact that they have inconsistent reasons for what they do in no way mitigates the fact that they can say the same thing to us that we say to China. We're total fucking hypocrites anyway. We treat dogs horribly here despite the fact we don't eat them. We race them, breed them, gas them when we can't adopt them out, etc; we have zero moral high ground when it comes to dogs, and it gets worse when you look at all animals. We torture the fuck out of so many animals here it's unbelievable. The fact that an American would talk about another country's mistreatment of animals is laughable.

@JeffMurray I agree with all you say. If vegans are not growing vegetables in their backyard but eating imported vegetables where animal dung is used can they really call themselves vegan. ...and why would wearing leather from a dead cow make you an assessory to animal cruelty. Sometimes extreme vegamism can become like a religion unto themselves.

@TimeOutForMe Oh, I was referring to the animals that die from being displaced from their habitat, the animals that die from harvesting machines, the animals that die from traffic due to a combination of displacement and transportation of the harvest, etc.
And the extreme veganism is idiotic and counterproductive. To not eat animal products simply because they're animal products is not the best path to the goal of reducing animal suffering/death. If you could source calories from waste streams (freeganism) instead of eating "new" vegetables, it shouldn't matter if those calories are an animal product or not as it would cause less suffering than the new vegetables.

@JeffMurray yes I understood what you've said about the various inhumane ways these animals die and I agree that it's disgusting. I was just adding my bit 😊

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613794
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.