Agnostic.com

6 15

"It's the People's park," a man groused. "It should be free!"

This guy was watching as I got a $35 annual WA State Parks parking permit. Next time I hear this, I'm going to say:

"Are you aware that Washington has no income tax? I learned this in graduate school. Instead, the state gets income from sales tax, business income tax, licenses and fees. It's a regressive tax system because it hurts poor people the most. Oregon's income tax is about ten percent per year. To their credit, Washington has no sales tax on food. Notice how people grouse about how much it costs to renew their car license? That's why. We have no state income tax."

For fifty years, Republicans in Eastern WA have been fomenting to secede. They want to form a new state called "Liberty" with conservatives in Idaho and Eastern Oregon. They would go broke. Republicans hate how the Western WA liberal, giant population swings state elections to Democrats. I love this April Fool's Day column in the Seattle Times:

"To Wenatchee- We build your roads, bridges, universities, schools and hospitals... and what do we get in return? Endless carping about the clam-digging schedule on Puget Sound beaches and the Lentil Festival of Ferry County. You want to secede? Go right ahead. We won't miss you."

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They (RETRUMPLIKKKANs) were raised to believe that, "Money grows on trees and God will provide" ...good luck with that I say.

There are times I wish a number of state lines could be redrawn to suit the political parties. There definitely would be surprise in some areas akin to what happened in Texas with last years winter storms

I wish all these idiots would secede, we would not have to fund their problems any longer. They would go broke short and sweet, have not idea why and start a war with those around them. That would not last long as they would run out of ammo, and get tired of not getting paid. Paid by whom, themselves?

@dalevictor

It is hard to start a new American state. Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico are examples.

[people.howstuffworks.com]

Crazy

Sounds like a typical conservative, they want to have it all but don’t want to have to pay any taxes.......

Yeah, and they have no problem with corporations and the uber-wealthy not paying taxes either.

Washington state was where I finally understood how liberal I really was. My ex hated it there, he is very conservative. I remember even prior to 1999 the eastern part of the state was not in step with the western part. I remember that Gary Locke was governor when we lived there.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:613812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.