Agnostic.com

10 10

A few years ago I read a book by Dan Barker titled "Losing Faith in Faith". The apparent emotional torment he went through made it a painful read! Although I went to catholic school, I played the role , but the indoctrination never took hold. Since I certainly, am not the only one to be so "blessed", I was wondering if any of you had the same experience and to what do you attribute your good fortune !

Paganlyl 6 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Also a recovering Catholic, I spent years trying to understand why I didn’t feel the devotion my friends and family seemed to have for this religion. I tried and tried to believe but a relative opened up to me that she never believed. That gave me my first bit of hope that I was not alone.
Now I enjoy the company (both online and in person) of many like-minded folks.

Welcome back to the real world, glad you found us!!

My family were not devout reigious people, when I was younger we attended church and that went on into my teens but by then I already did not believe. Religion was interesting in our household as Mum was anglican, Dad was an excommunicated catholic (because he married Mum) whose catholic mother was devout but father was a believer just not worried about it all, my older brother and I were christened on the same day because Mum and Dad had not gotten around to it before hand (he was 2, I was 1) by a presbyterian minister and my younger brother was christened by a united church minister.

I guess that made it easier for us as in our home the emphasis was on being a decent person rather than religion.
My parents were wonderful people who did things for others and so many of our friends ended up living at our house or using it as a drop in center to get advice or support.

One adult friend even handed over all of his credit cards to my mother who helped him dig himself out of the massive debt (to the point he was considering suicide) he had gotten himself into.

Those were the lessons we learned in our house so much stronger than religion.

How wonderful to have had the home environment you grew up in!!!

@Paganlyl I know the more I heard people talk about their childhoods the more I appreciated mine. As an adult with some friends they started talking about their childhoods and the first thing I did on getting home was ring my parents to thank them for the wonderful job they did bringing me up in a home that was supportive and fair.

In one word - "intelligence".
Baptised into the Roman Catholic faith ( there are many "Catholic" faiths.) I had to attend catechism classes. Too much of the dogma clashed with other dogma, as well as the science I was learning at school, and just plain logic, such as the virgin birth of both Mary and her mother.

Next week Sun. is another event "The Assumption!" This MUST be believed or else.....

@Paganlyl The assumption holiday was "nicked" from an earlier Roman holiday - Feria Agosto is held in perpetual honour of emperor Augustus. It is held on the 15th day of the month named in his honour, August.
To this day, Italians still call it Feria Agosto.

I'm also a recovering catholic. The faith never had a real hold on me - though I tried. Just too unbelievable for me. But the guilt is built in to the raising of catholic families, I think, faith in the religion or not.

Yes, guilt seams to be the prime mover in catholic religious training ,Thanks

My experience could be said to be similar to that of Dan Barker. I remember in my past life as a believer that losing faith was so hard that I cried. Through a series of events I finally realized along about 2000 or so that it was all bullshit. No gods, no Jebus, and no Supernatural.

Twenty one years of freedom, congratulations glad you escaped. I've always loved George Carlin's take on religion!

@Paganlyl If you haven't already, watch Carlin's take on believing in Angels

I was in an honesty group that focused on recovery from religious conditioning. We generally agreed that Catholic was the worst, and that recovery was the hardest. Later on, we agreed that we needed a "special training course" for recovering Catholics. Since then, I've thought that recovering from Islam might be even worse.

Thank you for your input and I totally agree on islam and it's link to "cooking fires"

I was only loosely raised Catholic. But my mother also encouraged critical thinking. By age seven, I recall thinking, “this is a bunch of baloney”. As my mother WAS a believer, I “observed the customs” when within her sight until I left home at seventeen.

Thanks for the reply! I often wondered if my mother had any influence in my rejection of religion!
My father was strictly catholic but my mother was Daughter of the eastern star, so I always assumed some conflict existed but never observed any.

wasn't raised in any kind of religion. So, no indoctrination.

No hell, no trauma ,no self doubt??... some of us may be jealous. Thanks!

@Paganlyl it’s the social and familial scripting that cause those, not just religion.

@Paganlyl. Don't need religious beliefs or indoctrination to have self-doubt, get real.

The indoctrination did take hold, but happily a later trauma tore it loose and saved me from a life as unhappy as that of my observant Catholic father. I don’t know the details of Barker’s life but did write an abbreviated memoir that probably tells a story much like his.

It's a total shame that anyone has to go through that but the sense of freedom you now possess may be it's own reward! Welcome back!

Once you realize it's all total bullshit, it's a cleansing experience.

and I suppose that the more outlandish the bs, the easier to detect at an early age?

@Paganlyl Some people go through their whole life without being able to detect the bullshit.

If one realizes at a young age, one recognizes the need to “follow the norms” outwardly…but recognize the hypocrisy and ludicrousness inwardly. And one makes long term decisions at an early age. To illustrate, my mother never ate food she didn’t like, but made her children eat food they didn’t like. Again, at a very young age, I decided I would never ask people to eat food they didn’t like. I would ask them if they would not mind tasting it again, just to make sure their tastes had not changed, but never insisted. I had one child who ate everything and one who only would eat what I called “Purina Kid Chow”. That one was given vitamins and supplements.

@barjoe Too bad there is no early course in Common Sense

@MsKathleen Purina Kid Chow,.. That's great!!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614389
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.