Agnostic.com

4 1

Has anyone seen this?
[yesonip13.org]
Proposed ballot initiative that would completely ban hunting, fishing, and the harming of animals in any way essentially banning the production of meat and animal products that don't result from an animal dying of old age.
Your thoughts?

If you lived in Oregon or that ballot initiative made it to your state, how would you vote?

• 0 votes
  • 15 votes
ChestRockfield 8 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

With the natural predators gone and native Americans it's necessary, saw pictures of federal preserves where hunting was banned, trees stripped of bark and emaciated dead deer horrible way to slowly die

I wonder how a vegan would respond to that. Naturally occurring suffering would be an acceptable evil while the population numbers adjust to equilibrium? That's the best argument I can come up with for them, but it still means they have have to be okay with a lot of animal suffering. Of course, these people do not make logical arguments in the first place, so I don't know why I would hold them to that standard in a hypothetical.

@JeffMurray ...so they're saying don't kill to eat, wait until it gets weak and old and die before you eat 🤷♀️
...animals get sick and die not just because of old age. How are we to know then what we're eating 🤐 and we've been through mad cow disease once before! I cannot see people eating beef just because the cow has aged and now lack all the nutrients when it was younger. I don't eat beef.

@TimeOutForMe Yeah let them starve essentially it's ok to be cruel . The pictures I saw was heartbreaking, the damage to the environment was horrible trees dying from bark stripped by starving deer

@TimeOutForMe I agree, I don't want to eat animals that died of old age the same way I don't want to eat vegetables that have died and fallen to the ground. That's just not how most of life has evolved (obviously there are some organisms that only eat dead stuff). Killing other shit and turning its building blocks of life into more of yourself is how we got to where we are. Not sure what humans obsession with fighting against natural selecting and evolution is all about.

Many animals both wild and domestic would die of starvation without periodic culling of the herd. I guess we could use the option of sterilization to keep their numbers down and healthy. I prefer ethical treatment of animals and meat on the table.

The proposal is absurd, thus, it paints it's proponents as nut-cases. Some small part of the issue may be legitimate, and this sort of silliness delays discussion for years or decades. Allowing idiots to address the issue doesn't really help animal rights at all.

Lunatic fringe on both the left and the right try to push their agenda. Fuck an all. I'm not giving up my steak.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614403
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.