Agnostic.com

6 12

Two , to, funny..

GeorgeRocheleau 8 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In linguistics, the grammar of a natural language is its set of structural constraints on speakers' or writers' composition of clauses, phrases, and words. The term can also refer to the study of such constraints, a field that includes domains such as phonology, morphology, and syntax, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics.

Transgressors should be publicly flagged.

That would be a spelling nazi, right?

As a volunteer college mentor, I help children of immigrants write essays to apply for colleges and scholarships. No matter how brilliant, they all have problems writing in English because they think in their home language.

"I am a simple girl," Elisabet initially wrote in her personal essay.

"What does 'simple' mean to you?" I asked. "In Mexico, it's a big compliment to say 'he's a simple man,'" Elisabet replied. "It means dependable and honorable."

"Unfortunately in English, 'simple-minded' springs to mind," I replied. "It has negative connotations." We looked on thesaurus.com.

Instead she wrote, "I am a modest girl with big dreams."

After graduating from college debt-free, Elizabet is studying to be a pediatrician.

Simple translation can end up with the most amazing mangling of idiom. My friend was at a university dinner of the French Club. after eating too much, she said to her friend in French, "I'm full". The table went silent. That's when she found out she had just told everyone she was pregnant.

All too of them. All two of them?

Word Level 8 Aug 7, 2021

How many Psychologists does it take to change a light bulb ?

Just one, but the light bulb has to REALLY WANT to change. 🙂

How many Software Engineers does it take to change a light bulb ?

We don't change light bulbs, that's a hardware problem. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.