Agnostic.com

18 20

Does anyone else have family members who refuse the COVID-19 vaccine?

My daughter is hesitant to get a COVID-19 vaccine. "I know too much," Claire, 31, says as if she knows more than scientists and medical doctors.

Her dad and I are at a loss. Claire got all of her childhood vaccines.

Arguing, begging, emailing facts on Delta variant, and repeating "I'm worried you will die" doesn't work. We hope her employer will require all staff to get vaccinated.

Does anyone else have family members who refuse the vaccine? What do you suggest?

I feel angry at vaccine refusers. Can't aim it at my daughter. Don't want to alienate her.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My Nephew in the Army Reserve was in Washington for an exercise came to my house for dinner and was not vaccinated. He is not strongly against getting a vaccine, but does not think he will get COVID or if he does he will very sick. He lives in Texas. I also have a neurologist friend that has not gotten the COVID vaccine due to concerns about its safety. I saw an article in CNN about using empathy and curiosity to convince another ot get the vaccine. The Hungarian immigrant Katalin Kariko PhD research in mRNA vaccines started in 1985 when she came to the U.S. She was involved in the development of the COVID mRNA vaccine, it seems to be of the great medical discoveries of my lifetime. I am not sure why people think of the new mRNA vaccines would be dangerous. I tried linking a couple of articles here but was not able to.

I do have family members and friends who are anti-vax, but thankfully no one so close to me that I'd be distraught if they got sick, but more of a "serves you right" type attitude.

I don't have any advice except to quote Dr. Fauci and others who say that the Delta variant is 1000 times more transmissible than the original alpha covid-19, has a shorter incubation time, and is catching up with the unvaccinated too fast to keep up, so the sooner the better if she's thinking of maybe getting vaccinated when she feels it's safer.

Will she decide to take it when the FDA offers full approval? Hopefully that comes before things get even more out of hand.

Real life people's stories might help. We have a local figure here whose daughter did not want to take the vaccine, but she had a close friend who died of covid, so she decided to go ahead and make an appointment. Sadly one day before her appointment, she started feeling sick and tested positive, so is currently suffering with the worst sickness she's ever had, and says she'll get the vaccine when she's fully recovered.

Another person sharing a story tonight, had a mystery illness the same time I did in January of 2020, before there was testing, and he's still recovering and on oxygen, can't work, He was in the hospital for months, intubated for part of that time. Not a fun time.

Not my mom or brother, his kids, or my kids. But cousins. I've had to block the offenders before this for attempts to "own" this lib that I got sick and tired of hearing. One refuses masks also. She's diabetic, about 300-350 lbs and won't last long if she gets it. Hate to say it and my aunt would have been horrified if she was still alive and heard me say it but it wouldn't be a big loss. I'm so sick of the utter ignorance.

I'm sorry for your heartache and worry about Claire. It hurts me more that she'd leave her child behind and isn't concerned about that. Would it make a difference to her if the FDA gives it full approval?

@Larimar

Thank you for your support. I'm worried sick about Claire.

Her excuse is her immune system is low from the stress of her divorce. She believes the vaccine side effects will be bad.

That's illogical. The vaccine boosts our immune system.

@LiterateHiker actually if she got it, with her immune system down, she won't fare well. My immune system is wonky and my doc was insistent that I get the shot.

I am sorry you have to go through this. If I had refused the vaccine I'd have never seen my grands or my kids again. They got theirs as soon as they could. My oldest has a degree in microbiology. She knows "too much" too. She knows that scientists know what they're talking about and that we all should get the damned shot.

Your daughter has become irrational for reasons that are not obvious from your post.

If she is determined to play Russian Roulette with her own life, there is ultimately nothing you can do about it.

No one in my family is sufficiently insane to refuse.

(Insane, not sane, not of sound mind, irrational)

P.S. Your daughter is a classic example of a little learning being a dangerous thing.

@anglophone

I agree. Her reasons are irrational. Claire is playing Russian roulette with her own life.

It breaks my heart.

@LiterateHiker I feel for her parents. They have invested 31 years of love, care and attention on her, and now she threatens to throw it all away.

I love the ones who say “I refuse to live in fear”! They’re usually the same folks that go to church every Sunday for fear of burning in a fictitious hell if they don’t.....🤔

No, I ditched all those willfully ignorant racists about 4 years ago....😎

two really great signs here by the way

kmaz Level 7 Aug 9, 2021

@kmaz

Thank you. Here's another sign I like.

My family had some deaths early on, so that convinced a lot of them. The others have either gotten their shots or keep quite about it.

My husband refuses. He doesn't have any particular reason, that I can decipher. I've asked. He thinks he's invincible (yet still has life insurance.).

Yes, I just found out the other day from a cousin. I didn't try to get into it too much with him, though I did let him know clearly what I thought of it.

kmaz Level 7 Aug 9, 2021

Had a family member who was resistant to getting the vaccine, but I did finally manage to convince him to get the shots. Now he's making sure his wife and kids get their shots also...

@expatri

That's great! How did you convince him to get the vaccine?

@LiterateHiker Not sure what finally convinced him, but basically provided credible information addressing whatever concerns he had. Also would text him articles about the spike in cases to the south in our state (a popular vacation area).

Just a stubborn sister, strong willed, weak mind, just parrots her husband’s trumpism

Not that I am aware of. Good luck.

Not to my knowledge. Were it my daughter I would tell her I cannot be with her in person until I know she is fully vaccinated. My age and certain health conditions dictate that I avoid even “possible” exposure.

@MsKathleen

Good advice. Claire wants me to visit her this summer.

@LiterateHiker I hope she changes her mind. These variants are three times as communicable and deadly as the original. I am wearing a mask anywhere I go. And going very selectively.

As far as I know, none of them.

My 25 year old daughter is afraid it will increase her seizure disorder. Some doctor advised her not to w grand mal seizures. She isolates.

Not sure

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:614752
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.