Agnostic.com

16 11

What food did you snitch as a child?

With four kids and a powerful sweet tooth, Mom baked hundreds of chocolate chip cookies with cinnamon. She froze the cookies in large containers in the freezer downstairs.

We kids developed a taste for frozen cookies. "Where did all of my cookies go?" Mom laughed, holding out empty containers. Mom was also guilty.

Last week, I made healthy date bars. So I wouldn't gobble them down, I cut up and froze half. Turns out date bars are delicious frozen.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I truly don't remember any foods that I ever got in trouble for snitching. I do remember getting in trouble for climbing on the bathroom sink and getting the cod liver oil and some kind of chocolate syrup medicine and chuglugging them. The smell of the cod liver oil always gave me away. To this day I like fishy fish.

Unrelated perhaps, but... My Mom had a party for some occasion and had tables and chairs set up on the patio. I was seated with other young people and had collected portions from the buffet. I had picked up a small pickle to see how it tasted, but with the abundance of other fun food, had left it untouched. It didn't smell too good and I thought I'd see how the Derfy, a Maltese, liked it. The others watched as I lowered it to his level, and he eagerly went for it. But upon tasting it, dropped it on the ground. So much for that I thought. I picked it up and put it back on the edge of my plate. A few minutes later, my Mom came by and noticed the lone pickle. Before I could say anything, she took it off my plate and popped it in her mouth. None of us said a word...!!!

Cookies, but only rarely. My father was a monster and "stealing" was dealt with harshly. Not worth the risk.

This doesn't match your post 'cause it's not snitching. But my mother sold Russell Stover chocolate in her store and their policy was to take candy off the shelf at the pull date, slash the cover and give it to the store.

At home we always had two refrigerators growing up -- one for food, the other for chocolate. To this day, neither myself nor any of my brothers care for chocolate very much. Ha, ha.🙂

My Dad would buy boxes of Nestle chocolate bars and supposedly hide it in his closet. I am still a chocoholic, but working on it.

I am very sorry that Betty Crocker stopped making the date bar mix I grew up with. I absolutely loved those.

@racocn8

Would you like my recipe for Date Bars from Cooking Light?

@LiterateHiker Sure!! That sounds quite wonderful!!

@racocn8

I crossed off 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. You may want to add it.

As I get older, cinnamon burns my mouth.

@LiterateHiker thanks I copied it too I always loved date bars. My go-to Christmas sweet table always includes whole dates pit removed and replaced with a walnut.

@Lorajay

This is what they look like.

@racocn8

This is what they look like.

Potato chips and Lucky charms.

My mom was the regional distributor for Campfire Mints, so our whole basement and house smelled like those tasty chocolate mints, decades ago. We would also buy several boxes and kept them in the basement freezer, especially the year my big sister got married, as she wanted campfire mints to be part of the reception goodies on the cake table... But it was so easy to snitch just one mint out of a box in the basement freezer, every few days from January to August... and we had 5 kids in the house doing this. So, sadly, a dozen boxes got whittled down to just a few mints left in otherwise empty boxes, so there weren't nearly as many mints my sister was expecting on the table. Oh well, at least there was cake! Too much of a temptation to snitch a frozen mint as a reward for doing a chore in the basement. Still love Campfire Mints... my daughter brought me some as a gift this year when she visited, since we don't have them where I live. 🙂 I still just have one every few days... still have one box left fully intact. They are my treat just every once in a while.

the Girl Scout cookies?

I am so glad I did not know you at that time, I would have become a criminal and would have weighed more than the house.

@hankster No girl scout cookies for me thanks... they were our rivals in school. Campfire girls had the cute outfits and the tasty mints... Girl scouts had dull brown or green uniforms and dry cookies.

That's my very prejudiced opinion, of course, and hopefully no former Girl scouts here will be offended by my playful rivalry.

My sisters and I were Campfire Girls, my mom was a campfire leader and then mint mother, and music mom. We sang cool songs around the campfire, learned how to do fun stuff in the woods, etc. Made s'mores with our mints. Not sure what the Girl scouts did, but I have my memories and don't need to know theirs. 😉

@dalefvictor Ah... the smell of those chocolate mints, thousands of boxes, smelled so tantalizing day in and day out. The scent would float up through the air vents up into my room, tempting me during the several weeks per year we stored them in our garage. If there's a heaven, there is likely a room that smells of campfire mints, among the many other fragrances I love. Mmm!

There was never an imposed cap on food including baked goods so above all sweets, freshly baked chocolate chip cookies had a very short life span.

I have always loved chocolate, and with three older brothers and two younger sisters, anything sweet in our house didn't last long. Mom had some good hiding places, but the brothers were sneaky. Now I rarely have chocolate in my house because I have no portion control when it comes to chocolate.

The same for me - as well as ice cream. It went against my nature to pay more for smaller servings instead of bulk, but I finally conceded that it was better for my health to go out and get it when I want it.

i think mom put it there just so i could enjoy sneaking it because i don't recall her ever complaining or remarking about it. it was leftover corn on the cob. all wrinkly from sitting out at room temperature for the better part of the afternoon. when all that water in it had evaporated it was much sweeter. a favorite and tasty sneak. great query.

My buddy and I used to traverse the countryside during the summer and "live off the land." Each of us carried only a salt shaker and a pocket knife. We ate apples from several orchards. We swiped tomatoes, peaches, and cherries when they were ripe. We used apples to feed cows. He would feed apples to a cow while I took a drink of warm milk direct from the cow. Then we changed places. Yeah, we were sort kinda like criminals, but I doubt we ever took enough for the farmer to notice.

I snitched on the fried chicken, it was always trying shit and then blaming it on the meat loaf. Well I was not putting up with that, no sirree.

I would sneak cookies from the cookie jar. Never got caught, but always blamed.

Raw dough

Nothing....we weren't inhibited at all. My brother would eat cookies a dozen at a time during his growing years.

Tasty

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 11, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:615228
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.