Agnostic.com

5 5

LINK Bad Astronomy | Air-breathing space engines: A last-minute reprieve for decaying orbits?

This of course has implications for deep space missions.

bingst 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reminds me of the Bassard Ramjet, I wonder if we could make this principle work even in deep space , where although very thinly distributed there is still gases?

Exactly what I was thinking. Kind of like Treknology.

Scientists arguing about stuff thats over my head...lol. you guys!

This engine is mostly electrical not combustible. Like an ion engine, it ionizes molecules then shoots out the plasma using magnets to accelerate to an oppositely charged hollow pole. There's plenty of electical potential in space (sunlight) and the cold temperature could be used for superconductive magnets. Decelerating molecules in the upper atmosphere of earth or probably any planet, moon or asteroid (basically any space gaseous material will do) to collect enough to generate propulsion seems to be the key they have unlocked. I wonder if collecting charged particles from the solar wind could do. That could accelerate a ship all the way to interstellar space.

I have heard of dense oxygen pockets that is combustible high in the atmosphere would this be a potential problem pure oxygen flammable?

I haven't heard of this, but I would think it might be a problem, potentially oxidizing parts of the engine itself. Perhaps a reserve of nitrogen-rich gas could be injected when I sensor detects too much oxygen? It seems they could work that out pretty quickly.

That looks like it has significant potential. Ion drives do have implications for deep space but this method of collecting propellant is targeted at the thin atmosphere of low earth orbit not the much harder vacuum of deep space

Indeed. I tried to find more details on exactly how they're collecting molecules, but didn't find anything. What I'm wondering about is the potential to do something similar within the solar system in order to build velocity, then making a final slingshot maneuver around the sun and heading towards the Centauri system. Better to go for the closest system first.

@bingst the following link will bring you to the R&D company that has worked on this problem.
[quintescience.com]
On their achievements page they have a paper explain the concept see: [45].
PDF link: [erps.spacegrant.org]
enjoy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61556
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.