Agnostic.com

16 25

I'm going to share my feelings about the current situation in Afghanistan.
I'm not particularly worried if others don't agree with me, or are offended.
You've been warned.

From the very beginning, I was never in favor of sending US troops into the region.
It was a fool's errand from the start.
As many of you know, I'm fond of pointing out how those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
I'm old enough to remember when the former Soviet Union spent roughly the same number of years in that country. They left pretty much the same way as we are now.
Accomplishing nothing, wasting countless lives, and leaving behind millions of dollars
of equipment which will be used against the people of that nation, and anyone else
who shows up.

Miscalculations and hubris, and most of all, underestimating the resolve and resilience
of the taliban. We never had a chance of being successful there.
Not only that, but overestimating the resolve of the Afghan forces to defend their country against the taliban.

All this was completely predictable, and completely preventable. Sad, but true.

KKGator 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree and add we should have known that while we are a military giant, we are horrible at Nation Building.

Always have been.

Has been a mishandled shit show from the start , they let Bin Laden go, installed corrupt government etc

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 17, 2021

The entire Middle East fiasco has been a powder keg that started after WW2 and has festered and mutated and morphed into the shitshow we see today. The US, USSR have done nothing but rape, pillage and plunder. The piss poor excuses we have elected for leaders have cashed in wherever opportunity appeared. We have drifted through war after war after war and we have learned nothing. All we have succeeded in doing was line the pockets of our war economy. And now to add insult to injury we have to admit defeat again and watch as the finger pointing becomes a deafening roar. This is far worse than 1975 when we pulled out of Viet Nam...at least then we didn't have to worry about home grown FASCISTS...smfh...

I couldn't have said it better.

100% . Thank u for post and I had the oppurtunity bcz of your post to read how many others feel .

You forgot to mention all the money our war industry made over there. Always follow the money, it will lead you to the perpetrators. There is an awful lot of blood on the hands of the military/industrial complex in this country, For most of our history we have been at war with someone and industry has profited off that. In WW 2 there were Jewish munitions companies selling to the German war machine.

Didn't really forget to mention that, just didn't feel like making the post any longer.
😉

We could stay there another 20 years and the same thing would happen when we left.

Precisely.

Exactly

A lot of Americans agree with you.

I commented elsewhere that while the media and the chattering classes will condemn what happened, I suspect millions of Americans will think, good, we are out of that disaster at last. A crazy country with a horrible religion. I'm not saying that right or good, but it's just my suspicion about what everyday people may think.

I've stopped trying to figure out what other Americans are thinking.
Too many of them cannot be trusted to engage their brains before they start to spew.
Case(s) in point, Bush2 being elected - twice,
45's con job on half the nation, science deniers, anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, conservatives, republicans, and the stubbornly un-masked.

100% agree.....

The USA, like the former USSR, is blinded by its own way of seeing both itself and its place in the world.

I remember being very upset about 9/11 but 90% of my concerns were for the wasted time money and innocent lives to be lost in the years after. With a fascist in office I knew that everything we would do from them on was going to be wrong, from invading the wrong countries to our domestic politics being corrupted toward even more fascism then we had already and we had plenty.
If we wanted to get those responsible we would have invaded Saudi Arabia and made the Republican Party a criminal organization more vile than the mafia.
It’s just more trauma to get us to allow more authoritarian control and surrender our actual rights rather than the pretend rights we hear about today from the Fascist party.
Before it’s over the United States will no longer exist, it was part of Reagan’s plan and both Bushes not to mention Trump and every Republican in congress, all fascist criminals.

The reason we finally realized Iraq was no longer viable was when the number of casualties in Iraq surpassed those killed in the towers. I remember watching support fall as the numbers killed increased.
Yes the Republicans are criminals but we need two parties to exist as a democracy. Having a monopoly could easily make the one party as bad as the other.
I feel sorry for the youth and it was recently reported that among millennials the suicide rate is climbing because they see a future for themselves. I have a grand son and grand daughter (in Brea) and worry for them.

@JackPedigo There were a shit ton of us that were astonished that we invaded Iraq, it was always crystal clear that revenge for 9/11 was being used as an excuse for another agenda.
I've never changed my mind about any political situation since 9/11, well since Reagan really but I was willing to allow fascist to prove their point after Reagan but not after 9/11, if you do that now they'll jab you in the neck with that point.
If I'm right and the fascist GOP is a criminal organization that's worse then the Mafia then how the F can you tell me we need them for Democracy, that's F'ing stupid.

@Willow_Wisp I cannot understand how, after so many bad Republican presidents we still elect them to a high office. Actually, I have read some theories and agree.

@Willow_Wisp So true. Cheney, Rumsfeld, and other neocons sent a White Paper to President Clinton explaining the need to invade and control a Middle Eastern country, one with oil, to have more control in that part of the world. I never bought into 9/11 being a legitimate reason for invading Iraq. We got Bin Ladin with a small force. We never needed a mass invasion anywhere over there. I think the more we quit messing around over there the less they will mess with us. This is for them to sort out. It is not like they are going to quit selling us or other nations oil.

@Sticks48 We invaded Afghanistan for the same reason Russia did, in the early 80's they did a geological survey and found massive deposits of Lithium in Afghanistan, so Russia fought to control it until they ran out of money and we ran right in and did the exact same thing.
The sad part is that new battery technology will replace lithium Ion technology within the next couple of years.

@Sticks48 We invaded Iraq for the oil. Alan Greenspan stated that when he was asked "why did we invade Iraq"? It would have been more honest if we went in from the south and built a wall around the oil fields and then left the rest of the country to fend for itself.

@starwatcher-al [nytimes.com]
There's a Trillion dollars worth of lithium at minimum in Afghanistan.
We're all but energy independent due to fracking, the price of oil dropped due to lack of demand, the price increase since the pandemic is from pandemic distribution and supply issues but before that it was at a historic low, especially when everyone first started staying home due to quarantine.

@Willow_Wisp Yup, those mountains are heavily mineralized. Ya think we'd have figured out how to scam the minerals without starting a war.

@starwatcher-al That's what Capitalism is all about, and in the event that fails they own the most powerful military on Earth.

@JackPedigo There is no 2 party system. Each side has sold out to big corporate and the wealthy.

@JackPedigo, @Sticks48 Wasn't Paul Wolfwitz one of the authors of that paper? Or was that something earlier?

I had a long reply about my 9/11 morning and it disappeared. So this is the short version.
I watched the second plane hit. I stated to my SO at the time, "that was no accident (the news was still saying was a terrible accident that has just happened), it was planned and bush will take us to war." Nothing that has happened since was any real surprise, mostly because I had seen the slide to fascism since Reagan. It's always been about the money and power.

@silverotter11 l believe so. I can't remember who signed off on it. I had forgotten about him. Thanks.

don't miss the main point (as far as those that wage the war are concerned) the $ left behind, the lives lost were well worth the $ gained by the war machine. they made a fortune, and will do it again in a second.

Thank you for reminding those who are not aware of how the war in Afghanistan broke the Soviet Union.
There have been some facts from the associated press to remind us of what a fools (aka 'W'😉 folly this has been.
Number of times lawmakers have voted to declare war in Afghanistan: 0
Number of times lawmakers on Senate appropriation defense subcommittee addressed costs of the Vietnam war during that conflict: 42
Number of times lawmakers in the same subcommittee mentioned costs of Afghanistan and Iraq wars through midsummer 2021: 5
Number of times lawmakers on Senate Finance Committee have mentioned costs of Afghanistan and Iraq since Sept. 2001 to midsummer 2021:1
Amount President Truman temporarily raised top tax rate to pay for Korean war: 92%
Amount Lyndon Johnson temporarily raised top tax rate to pay for Vietnam War: 77%
Amount George W Bush raised top tax rate to pay for Iraq and Afghanistan: 8% (remember it was supposed to be a cheap war).
Estimated amount of direct Afghanistan and Iraq war costs the US has debt-financed as of 2020: $2 Trillion
Estimated interest costs by 2050 $6.5 Trillion
Estimated the US has committed to pay in health care, disability, burial costs for roughly 4 million U.S. Afghanistan and Iraq veterans: more than $2 Trillion. (I am such a veteran from the Vietnam war and am still getting money/benefits).
Period those costs will peak: after 2048!!!
Human toll:
U.S. service members killed in Afghanistan through April: 2,448
U.S contractors killed: 3,846
Afghan national military and police: 66,000
Other allied service members including from other NATO member states: 1,144
Afghan civilians: 47245
Taliban and other opposition fighters: 51,191
Aid workers: 444
Journalists: 72

In the extensive writings in the paper about this country it has been stated and restated what a tribal and poor country this is. Also, how so much money we spent, went toward lining peoples pockets. With such a country one must expect corruption to be endemic. Too bad our military is all about force and little scrift is given to practices that actually work.

Once again a STUPID president starting a STUPID war. In the end the U.S would have been better off investing in some peaceful industry. One of my states senators, Patty Murray actually went to Iraq at the onset to find WMD's and found none. She was met with all kinds of insults of being a traitor from conservatives.

It is amazing how on a developmental level this country has remained stuck in the tribal state. There seems to have been no age of enlightenment where the idea of humanity and caring for all members of society on an equal basis helps move everyone forward. It is a small group that has no concept of this humanity, being stuck in the "it's the other who is the cause of our woes" as they are that has ALL the control. How does that happen?

@silverotter11 Unfortunately, because we are a large country with a lot of rural versus urban areas it's nearly impossible to get a unified consensus. However, some very rural areas, like ours, does follow a more liberal ideology.

.... and why was Afghanistan invaded?
Because after 9/11 politicians had to be seen doing something in retaliation against Al Quaeda.
9/11 was funded from Saudi Arabia, and the majority of the terrorists were Saudi jihadists, but too many rich people would never contemplate even wrist-slapping Saudi Arabia, which supplied oil and purchased lots and lots of armaments, whilst buying lots and lots of treasury bonds.
So Afghanistan was picked instead.
Bush should have been impeached - for both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Petter Level 9 Aug 16, 2021

Afghanistan was chosen, then abandoned before they killed Bin Laden, because "There's Gold In Them Hills." It was not a war for oil. It was a war for mineral rights. We had troops there, defending poppy fields, because we, they, wanted the war lords, and drug trafficker's, to maintain political, and military, control over Afghanistan. The last thing that they wanted was a Democracy. They want almost all of the money from mining. And, of course, no costly environmental standards. This was all done, to never share the proceeds from mining, with the overwhelming majority of the people who live, and die, there.

Exactly.....

And the 9/11 attacks were planned in Europe, something US politicians refuse to understand. Bin Laden just happened to be in Afghanistan with his droogies. The whole logic of the invasion was based on false assumptions. Bin Laden wanted America to invade, following the Soviet Union before them. He told Mullah Omar, then Taliban leader, so. The real history must be told here.

@David1955 I think al-Queda itself may have been a reaction to Desert Storm. That little venture (which so many approved of) was my first Protest. Desert Storm sickened me for making our military buyable. I think The Emir told Papa Bush that he would move his money into Yen if we didn't get Sadam out of his nation. See, they had not used money to build an Army, or defense of any kind, against a guy who had announced that Kuwait was his and he was coming to get it. Thanks to the Saving and Loan crime (which Papa Bush was involved with) our banks were rather weak.
I told people then, including an AM station in L.A, that we should invest gobs in money in renewable energy and tell Kuwait to get him out themselves. It would have been cheaper than a war(s) and better for all humans. People nodded and then told me it had to be done. POTUS said so.

@HankHunter13 It's always about the money.

@rainmanjr I was there, at the March On Washington, in 1991, just 10 days after #IraqWar1 started. I was with #Greenpeace, one of the major organizers. #NoBloodForOil was on the cover of our magazine. There were more people at that protest, than anytime since the #VietnamWar. It was awesome. My educated guess, is that it was 500,000 people. The main stream news claimed that there were only 250,000 protesting that war, in the entire country, that weekend. Years later, I heard that protestors in #SanFrancisco shut down the #BayBridge. That was never in the so called "News". And they promoted the so called marches "for" the war. Which was a huge #BigLie. In front of the #WhiteHouse, the supporters for the war, could barely fill 1 or 2 buses. The #AntiWar march, past the White House, lasted for 3 hours. It was a sea of people. From every imaginable walk of life. Many of us knew, instantly, that the #Invasion was just the start of decades of war for oil, and mining, in the #MiddleEast. Sometimes, I hate being right. (That's me, in the first picture.) News pictures. Friends pictures. And my pictures, of people from our Door To Door Canvas, and Activist, office in #Cincinnati #Ohio. We just had a 30th Anniversary Reunion, for the 50th Anniversary of #Green #Peace in July. That's Very Cool that You were there, too. It sucks that the 'news' keeps saying 20 years, in Afghanistan, without ever mentioning that it's over 30 years of military involvement in that region (let alone Reagan & the CIA & Saddam) or, that all 3 overt wars were started by #Republicons. Afghanistan was not a War On Terrorism. Or a War for Oil. It was a War for Mineral Rights. "There's Gold In Them There Hills." And Lithium, Titanium, "and so on."

@HankHunter13 You were looking great, bro. I remember that rally. The L.A rally was also very large. Most of my protests were on corners in Orange County so that one was incredible. My sign quoted Buffalo Springfield, "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong." That got the radio reporter's attention. Peace.

@rainmanjr that's a great sign. peace man

I agree 100% and always have. It is a nation of tribes that are unwilling to get along. The tribes are led by high-testosterone elders who have final say on everything...and who do not want change or modernization. This is why the 300,000-strong military immediately abandoned the government that was only partially stable because the US was there. It was doomed from the beginning and we are lucky it only cost us a trillion plus dollars and the lives of 20,000 soldiers. Yes, now the Taliban will be stronger, but if they dare practice terrorism on American soil, we can bomb the shit out of them, as we finallly did to Japan. I have always been anti-starting-war, but I am not anti-response.

In addition to the dropping of two atomic bombs on Japan, they surrendered because the Soviets were on their way to begin an invasion of Japan.
Stalin had promised to carry on the war in the East after the Germans had been defeated in Europe.

I agree 100%.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:616340
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.