Agnostic.com

15 4

Are All of Those Oils Really Helping People?

I have an acquaintance who sells oils. Apparently, you can use them for depression, pain, anxiety, and so on. I'm very skeptical of anything that proports to work better than traditional medicines. Cannabidiol, I might believe has benefits. But these folks are selling frankinscence, and a whole bunch of other oils.
Are they worth a try?

MrLizard 8 Apr 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Personally I'm a big fan of essential oils, but of course I'd never read the science alert article before. Sounds like they may be stronger than we thought.

I do find some have merit. I needed a root canal and Oil of Cloves killed the pain so I could sleep for about 5 hours. Lavender oil also helps me sleep and calms me. Other oils have other properties. There is merit, but it isn't going to be a dramatic effect, except for the oil of cloves. The numbing agent the dentist used before he injected novacaine into my gums tasted just like the oil of cloves.

From my amateur research on essential oils, the answer is "No." Some people swear by them. I don't argue with them, but I won't spend another dime on them. My opinion has zero to do with CBD oil.

They smell nice, but I worry about long term exposure via inhalation. Those are some very complex mixtures of organic molecules. Many of them have incorporate benzene rings and other structures that can be problematic in the body. I would stay away from them personally.

I have a thoery smells or tastes couldlight up the brain in a positive way .. Though no evidence or theory other than my experience with plants .. The theory being some smells maybe theraputic ! Suppose it could be different for different folks too !

@MrLizard Ahh mate tomato's are something else aren't they!!!

Yeh I am not sure .. it seems that way with weed but not sure too. Just sniffing some types is beyond nice lol !!! Flowers on other plants aren't quite the same.. I do like a good rosebush though too.

Love these babies ... Really getting into edible flowers - Nasturtium nectar is yummy

[oregonlive.com]

Placebo at best .....although a new study has suggested that they may cause man boobs

I might rub it on my chest lol

@MrLizard [sciencealert.com]

I get my ManBoobs from McDonald's

I use oils here and there and have found some to exhibit noticeable benefits. Mint does indeed help with mild nausea and spiders really don't like it. A drop of Frankensense mixed with my moisturizer really did appear to improve my skin texture and appearance. Lavender seems to be calming. I'm not big on chemicals and while I'm certainly no pharmacist, I think people forget that most if not all prescription drugs are based on and use synthesized versions of natural ingredients? People just want their ailments relieved RIGHT NOW! And concentrated synthetics achieve that. The natural stuff takes longer and provides a milder remedy. Just my view based on personal experience.

Spot on !! Fully agree. .Lavendar really is calming .. Camomile too. Mint realy does settle stomachs too .. there are a lot of properties .. I wouldn't say I know all about it but have tried. I have to wonder if the scent alone can help .. I wonder the same with cannabinoid terpines.. I feel that just the lift or enjoyment you get from the taste of a good strain is lighting up your brain in very positive ways and maybe that is part of the making people eat effect. I would like to see if people research if flavours and smells can affect mood deeply and the immune system and long term state of mind.. 🙂 All very interesting ..

@Nickbeee "A good strain..."oh hell yes Nick! Lol... But yes to the rest as well...I think aroma therapy does work.

@Freespirit64 Lmao .. you cannot be a good strain. It's good to release the oils lol. Yeh I think smells have a great effect on me !

I enjoy using oils sometimes. Scents draw your attention, conjure memories, and can make you feel a variety of ways. They all have different properties. Eucalyptus opens your nasal passages. Peppermint wakes you up. Some are more subtle than others. I would say just whiff some and notice what how you feel.

I find oil from weed damned helpful. Those other oils, l don't have a clue.

I'm bipolar and I've tried using a couple of different things that don't require a doctor's prescription. I've use st. John's Wort and I forget some of the other things I've tried. They didn't really do much. I'm not going to say that they didn't help but I can't really say that they did. I'm also incredibly insensitive to medication so that might have affected it as well. So honestly I wouldn't waste my money. Go to a doctor.

CBD oil is a different story all together. That helps. I've been off of pharmaceuticals for a few years now and I maintain my moods by smoking pot.

@MrLizard oil should work even better then smoking to be honest. I just also like the high hehe

@MrLizard I'm pretty sure both work but I know ingestion works. I've had little experience with CBD oils. I normally get mine through smoking.

Not if you’re broke.

Lol...right? They ain't cheap!

I recently began giving my 90 year old mother (with 3rd stage Alzheimer's) CBD oil. It seems to help IMMENSELY with her OCD tendencies.
I would also try ANYTHING which would help her to sleep for longer than 2 or 3 hours.
Any suggestions?

THC. Indica.

yeah I am not sure either... I was gifted an oil diffuser and I put it on sometimes and it makes my room smell nice but I don't notice any benefits or effects... it could be placebo but I honestly don't know the science behind these claims...

@MrLizard lol you are right. like the whole thing about coconut oil. I actually use coconut oil a lot.... in my cooking... i use it as lube... I give my dogs a teaspoon of coconut oil a day and they love it... i use it to brush my teeth or "oil pull" (mouth wash with coconut oil)... I use it as moisturizer.

I also use tea tree oil everyday in my body wash "Dr. Bronner's Tea Tree Soap"
and I use that same stuff to wash my dreads which also happens to have coconut oil and hemp oil.

So there are a lot of ways to use oils... sorry for my previous half-assed answer.

I have also read quite a lot of anecdotes about how CBD oil has healed people, especially with epilepsy. I am an avid pot smoker and if I got cancer, I would definitely give it a go. although I have also heard it NOT working for people... I don't think it's a "cure all"... everybody is different.

CBD is medical marijuana. I use it as a patient in FL. it is s powerful neuroprotectant, anti inflammatory and an axiolytic. and it IS traditionsl medicine it has been in use for thousands of years.

@MrLizard I get my CBD from Florida dispensaries now. But I used to get it from Charlottes Web in CO who UPSes it nationwide. I use it for anxiety, neuropathy, and for inflammatory pain. An anxiolytic has anti anxiety properties, like a benzodiazepine type drug. But not addictive. CBD acts on the CB-1 receptors in the brain as part of the endocannibinoid system.

@MrLizard all of this is science based.

Nope. It's just more bullshit.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.