Agnostic.com

31 6

What is your impression of Unitarian Universalist?

I have recently moved from Colorado to the Oregon coast. There are no atheist groups active locally so I have gone to two UU churches in order to meet people and hopefully meet atheist in order to start a local atheist meet up. I am surprised that many attendees are openly atheist yet attend a pseudo church. I have been told by some of the members that people go to the UU churches just for socializing. I've made it clear I'm an atheist and they simply don't care and are very welcoming. I am very much an anti theist and I am feeling much cognitive dissonance associating with even a pseudo religion. What do you think?

DavidLaDeau 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I went to one once because I heard you could go if you were an atheist/agnostic. It did seem open and welcoming to all. The one near me probably could have worked for me, but I think I just wasn't into the "churchy" aspects of it: ritual, singing, etc. The weird thing is, I used to be really into the Rocky Horror Picture Show... which is basically ritual/churchy... but I guess if there's a healthy dose of kind thrown in I'm into it?! 😉

From what I’ve seen, they’re still kooks that play with crystals.

that's a very common misconception about Unitarian universalism. Very similar to the stupid misconception that agnostics/atheists are devil worshippers.

There are all kinds in the UU churches.

@bobhoff59 -- including folks who play with crystals.

@Kojaksmom I was at one several years ago at the prodding of a friend to come. The little store had crystals for sale, among other woo. What else would I infer?

@Kojaksmom What is a more proper understanding to set the record straight?

I think, they have guitars in their church. No clue, actually.

I went for awhile but they kept pressuring me for money, lots of money.

Reminds me of a PIL song.

First question is: If it is so open and cares not one whit what one believes, why call it a church or even organize it to emulate one? I guess it serves as a transitioning crutch for agnostics and "atheists" who are uncertain about it all. Church is church is church, and there is no way to get around it. As for there being no groups, I guess that depends on where your are:

Coos Bay: [meetup.com]

Portland: [meetup.com]

Portland: [cfiportland.org]

Portland: [portlandhumanists.org]

That's it as far as "coastal" Oregon is concerned. There are groups pretty much all over the state and it shouldn't be too big a deal to connect with any one or more of them to enlist aid in establishing one in your area. Because you're somewhere on the coast, I'd suggest contacting the CFI in Coos Bay to discuss it.

Thank you for your links. I have joined the Coos bay meetup and will attend their next meeting. I live about 30 minutes away so its a great start!

@DavidLaDeau -- Glad it helped. Where are you? Up around Reedsport or south of Coos Bay? Old Oregon boy here.

@evidentialist Yep Reedsport its a great area with great people. I asked a couple of locals if people would frown on atheist, the response I got more than once was "You Fish?"

@DavidLaDeau -- I lived in Reedsport many years ago. My father had a charter boat at Winchester. I just looked at a map of current Reedsport and it hasn't grown much, but it appears to have changed enough I'd not recognize it at a glance. Love that area.

I was raised on a small farm just outside of Aumsville.

I couldn’t do it (in McMinnville OR)... though had plenty of progressive friends ‘attending.’ I just can’t/ won’t do churches. I’d attended an IRS presentation decades ago in Portland describing what it took to declare a religion and establish an untaxed church.. Sponsored by our local chapter of American Atheists, inquiring minds wanted to know 🙂 Instead, an offshoot organization formed, United States Atheists. It was like our own little ‘church,’ though quite a trek for me…

I could barely stand having to ‘vote’ in a church, years ago… Seems participating or legitimizing them in any way promotes their continued existence and tax exempt status. Just boils my blood ~

Hey, north, central, or southern Oregon Coast..? I’ve daughters aiming for Colorado, from Oregon, so curious why you’d left? I’d be looking over Tillamook Bay, the Newport bridge or Coos Bay right now had I not followed advice to seriously research the pending subduction quake… I’m in Appalachia now (and loving it), on solid rock, due in large part to that quake 😕

Varn Level 8 Apr 20, 2018

My mother is in her 80s my two sisters moved to Reedsport where she moved to help her if she gets ill or falls etc.. My 19 y/o daughter came with me. It seemed to be the right time as I am now going through a divorce an issue I have not yet mentioned publicly. Oddly enough we moved from Florence Colorado to a few miles away from Florence, Oregon.

@DavidLaDeau Thank you for sharing.. A divorce also led me away from home. Central Coast, then, just keep in mind a ‘foot path’ to higher ground if any shaking begins. My dad’s in Pacific City and my brother’s about 5 miles inland. Miss that coastline soooo much… My daughters and I have a deal, they can continue to live (and learn) in Oregon, just don’t invest in property.. I’d advice the same, sad to say 😟 ..do enjoy the time with your mother and daughter, I miss both, too ~

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:61888
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.