Agnostic.com

4 2

Linux turns 30: ​Linus Torvalds on his "just a hobby" operating system

It's been 30 years since Finnish graduate student Linus Torvalds drafted a brief note saying he was starting a hobby operating system. The world would never be the same.

[zdnet.com]

FearlessFly 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, the article is from 2020 but a horror show:
[zdnet.com]

“About 90% of the routers in the study used a Linux operating system. However, manufacturers weren't updating the OS with fixes made available from Linux kernel maintainers… "Most of the devices are powered by Linux and security patches for Linux kernel and other open-source software are released several times a year. This means the vendors could distribute security patches to their devices far more often, but they do not."”

That is also true of a lot of Linux (kernel) based Android phones that don't get updated by the mfgrs/carriers. 😛

I have used Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, CrunchBang, and Bodhi. Since getting my smartphone, my interest in desktops waned.

Sadly home routers have been polluted by poorly maintained Linux variants and user friendly GUIs making them perhaps the weakest security link beyond the chair inhabitant itself. Well it was that way several years ago. Has the home router sit rep improved much?

There are projects based on OpenWRT (a Linux offshoot) but one must have compatible hardware and know what they are doing. Linux is great but must be freely updated as bugs are revealed in real time.

I was thinking of delving into pfSense kit based on FreeBSD. Not sure if any consumer grade home routers are safe.

Of course 'free software' and 'open-source' makes that possible, but that is not a criticism of Linus/Linux itself.

GPL v2 is probably one of the most important documents in the world now.
Stallman changed the direction of computing history.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619082
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.