Agnostic.com

10 10

St Paul’s Cathedral. I hope nobody will get upset me posting a ditty of this most magnificent building even though it is a religious one. 😌😃😂

Jolanta 9 Aug 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Magnificent buildings can be created if you can hire a talented team of architects and have unlimited budget like the Vatican.
Aside from the skilled craftsman and artists employed in the construction who benefits from them?

Well, we do and anyone who looks at those magnificent buildings. One doesn't have to think of them as places of worship only. Many churches these days are being sold as religion is dying or at least that is what happens here in Australia. People buy them and convert them into houses. When I was in UK there was a large church that had been converted into appartments.

I did a project on Christopher Wren when I was in high school and I went on a tour of Europe (including England) right after graduation. I had to go visit St. Paul's Cathedral, of course. I revisited St. Paul's again later on in my life. It's one of my favourite buildings. I was also an admirer of John Donne's poetry. He became the Dean of St. Paul's at one point. I had to see John Donne's effigy, of course. I was such a weird teenager who was into art, architecture, history, and literature.

Did you grow out of that weirdness?

@Jolanta I think I've grown even weirder.

@graceylou Weird is good, it makes the world much more interesting.

@Jolanta Exactly. And hey, why be normal when you can be weird. Someone on here has met me in person and can vouch that I am THAT weird.

Considering the time of construction. The art of designing and constructing such a magnificent building is amazing.

Ryo1 Level 8 Aug 31, 2021

A fine example of the Vatican s extraordinary real estate holdings all over the world making it rich beyond anyone's imagination, so much for the Catholics wanting to help the poor. It has been estimated that just 1/3 of the Vatican's richness distributed among those less fortunate would completely eradicate all the poor in all the world. But would they do it? Not a fucking chance! Because they prey on the poor to exist.

Just like politicians.

@Jolanta Politicians are way down on the richness scale, it's like comparing Jeff Bezos and his Amazon fortune with Jeff the Drunk, Howard Stern's whack packer's fortune. Not even close.

@Mofo1953 Oh, I don't know. Most of them are pretty rich. After you have a couple of millions what does a zero or two really matter, unless of course you want to build a space rocket and go into space for half an hour or so.

@Jolanta you don't know that a trillion is more than a billion and a billion is way more than millions? No politician in any part of the world has even remotely the billions perhaps trillions that the Vatican has nor the brainwashing power over billions of sheep. Who's kidding who now?

Kinda reminds me of something....hmm.
Oh yes, derivative American architecture. This Capitol building in my home state of Washington, town of Olympia, was a view from my house when I was little. Washington did not even become a state until 1889. Interesting to see something so much older.
I believe several state capitols have similar domes.
[google.com]

I've always wanted to live in an old church with a graveyard in the back.

Yes, that would be cool, however I think that those buildings are very cold and you need a lot of money to heat them in winter.

People can create such beautiful architecture and art if you can look past the religious overtones.

If it's a ditty you'll be wanting some lyrics.

Perhaps a cherihew?

Christopher Wren
Once now and then
Designed churches
Stained with smirches

Said Sir Christopher Wren:
"I'll be out with some men,
"If anyone calls,
"I'm designing St Paul's."

The music and architecture created by and for the Catholic church was, at times, outstanding. Another example of you don't have to like or agree with the artist to enjoy or appreciate the art.

Wonder how much slave labor was used to build it.

And that's how it was in those days.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:619416
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.