Agnostic.com

9 29

[latimes.com]

I am sitting in bed after a night off , siping coffee and making a list of all the things I need to do b4 going back in for another 5 night stretch .
Cathy , my head respiratory therapist who has been “ Jesus “ to me the last 17 months just texted me this . With a note : why people don’t believe us ? Why people put their selves and their families through this ?
Everything in this article is 100% accurate . Mind blowing to me that the therapist who wrote this got it down , this is r lives over and over .
One thing can be different : some x , no family at all to call . And some times , the damage is so rapid by the time patient decides to come to ER stages 1-4 are not even an option .
The last 3 weeks our patients are getting younger and younger .
Please listen to us , we r not lying , we are not getting paid to fool u , we are not idiots , we have nothing to gain , we don’t care what u vote . Get vaccinated . Wear masks . Advocate for vaccines . Be mindful . Do not die . Not like that man , not like that .

Pralina1 9 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for all that you do. Sadly, willful ignorance is often fatal.

You are a much better person than I am. I have gotten so sick of the BS that I have turned to hoping they get sick and speed through the phases to incapacitated (shh, don't tell me it is not how this disease works, this is my mind rationalizing how the next bits could happen). They then just slip quietly away and don't infect people with either the disease or their lies. You are a much better person than I am for still helping them do anything besides shuffling off this mortal coil.

I am not honey . Just a nurse , I know your mom was a nurse u said , so u know how we feel . We can’t give up , that’s all .

Sorry, unavailable to those of us who don't do ads. More and more these days information costs.

Sadly many elected officials add to the problem. Here in my little area on the east side of the Cascades the Ellensburg Rodeo and County Fair are in full swing. The doctor who heads the COVID response in the county received death threats when he mentioned maybe we should cancel the festivities for a second year. He requested extra police protection around his home. The idiot republicans around here are some of the most ignorant lazy fools I have ever met. OH! and the hospitals around here are pretty near full.
I am vaccinated and never stopped wearing a mask when I go to the store. I don't go visit friends indoors and I don't have friends come in my apartment. Community spread continues to be out of control.
I have no idea how to get thru to the stupid.
Stay safe and be sure and take care of you.

Oh wow . That poor doctor . Wow . That’s insane 🙁

We have that here as well albeit on a much smaller scale. Funny, when I hear of who refuses the vaccine it all makes sense. They are not the brightest around.

You are such a dedicated nurse, and I am so sorry you’re having to continue dealing with this horrific virus. I don’t know what it’s going to take for these unvaccinated people to see the light. I hope you and your team will be safe and that you won’t have to deal with too many idiots. 😘

♥️♥️♥️

Maybe this pandemic is Darwinism at work. In the long run the thinning out of the stupid is good for evolutionary purposes. The vaccines work. Maybe not 100%, but over 90%. Nothing in life except our eventual deaths is 100%. One doesn't have to be a genius to see these are fantastic odds. This is a very simple fact. I lost another friend yesterday morning because she would not get the vaccine. That is two friends and one ex brother in law who have died from being stupid. Don't be stupid.

@Gwendolyn2018 Since you can't fix stupid, all one can do is get the vaccine, wear a mask and hope for the best. There are no other options beyond complete isolation, period. I am getting my booster Wednesday. The three people I mentioned did not get the vaccine. They were stupid. They paid for it. The stupid exist and will take others with them. All we can do is try to minimize their damage by doing the smart things and hope for the best. Such is life.

The saddest thing is this is 100%_preventable

Totally

Honestly I've lost all empathy for them at this point in the Pandemic. If you're refusing to get vaccinated, stay home and live through it, or die.

Or go to your church and let god take care of you. He seems to be unemployed at the moment anyway.

And the worse , while u sweating to find them a bed , sweating to stabilize them , and with their shitty breathing they tell u “ the lord will take care of me “. No . No bitch . I am . I had people initially consenting to plasma treatment , then calling their pastor and refusing . What I supposed to do w a bag of plasma that was prepared just for u ? I could had give this to a guy few rooms down , what a waste 🙁

@Pralina1 It's always about them and Jebus..hope they got charged for the plasma..that is a waste, wtf..

@Charlene actually no . Can’t charge them . Hospital eats that bill , tax payers 🙁

So sad and yet predictable. And it’s not just happening in our country. Every weekend in towns throughout France they are having large demonstrations against mandatory vaccinations and mask wearing. Same in Slovakia and other countries. Protesting the attempt by the government to possibly save their own lives by minimal actions to stop the spread of a pandemic. And then every single one of them, as the fight to breath, says they wish they had gotten the vaccination, if they even get a chance to speak before the ventilator gets hooked up.
I certainly don’t envy you your job, and I love nurses! They are the best part of being hospitalized. Don’t let them kill your spirit! 😍

♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️
Two nights ago I admited a man on his late 60s , unvaccinated and barely able to breathe while standing to use the urinal . Set him up at high flow delivery and started steroids etc . When stable , I assigned him to one of my team , and few hrs later I revisited to check on him bcz his monitor was going crazy . He was just trying to sit up in bed , and his lungs couldn’t take it .
Coached him to better breathing plus morphine , and then he addressed me w my first name . Which I forgot to mention to him through the whole time , plus my badge is hidden under isolation gowns . Also he used my birth name , something that is not writen on mg badge , too long , and most know me as mara or maria , saves time vs marialena .
And I am like , wtf , who are u ?
He took 5 mnt to find breath today tell me that 2 yrs ago I visited his wife at oncology unit late at night , she was in a coma after a brain bleed that couldn’t be treated and with comfort measures in place .
I was asked by her nurse to place an iv line to administer more fluids ( thafs a no normally ), and I remembered the guy very well .
He was in his wife room w a friend of his , a holistic , homeopath , a antivaxer anti medicine persona , who had the room full of essential oils and Jesus crosses .
I remember that I was called in room bcz family ( husband ), was convinced by friend that poor dying wife needs a colon cleansing enema , preferably a coffee one , and that if she has one she ll wake up and live .
I remember that I told him “ ain’t happening , not while I am in charge , and I am not puting this woman s body through that “. I remember he was upset , and he asked for my name . And been a bitch , I gave him my full name , which is a train long if u add 3 last names , italian , Greek , and american .
I felt sorry for him to be honest .
Back to present , he told me he remembers me , and that he wish he had the vaccine . He told me he is afraid he won’t survive this . And “ that the lord is probably ready for him “.
I told him , I don’t know about the lord , but I am not ready to let u go , and right now , consider me and my team as the lord . We can worry about meeting Jesus later , right now we gonna meet the pulmonologist and mean time we gonna breathe . “
Life is predictable some x 🙁

@Pralina1 More and more I am hearing of how the ICU's are overflowing and more doctors and nurses are refusing to treat those who have not been vaccinated. More and more many of us are seeing this is a necessary step to get those who refuse to see the harm they are doing to others, bear a price.

@JackPedigo while I support the reasoning, medical staff are not able to do this due to the nature and reasons they got into this field in the first place. @Pralina demonstrates this every day she drags herself into her work to care for those who were too stupid to take care of themselves when they had the chance.

@Barnie2years We've already been over the Hippocratic oath. Have read pieces where that is now being re-evaluated. Do no harm - to who and when? Still, it is being done. Which is more important, some words or the survival of the system, which right now, is crashing. Also,it now seems the oath has become an instrument of enablement.

@Barnie2years and it’s a drag at this point , u are so right 🙁

@JackPedigo u are not wrong , but . No matter how mad we are , and we are , believe me , very mad , these people can’t breathe . I have seen all types of “ I can’t breathe “ in 23 yrs . The pneumonia’s , the congestive heart failures , the hemorrhagic shock / traumas , the TB , the copd and the asthma ones . This is soo different and so weird . It happens fast , and people who were lifting weights at gym a week ago , today can’t lift their hand to drink water without turning blue .
The vent alarms and the monitors are non stop going on , and we can’t silence those , and these patients know that the noise is not good news . What can we do jack ? I can’t let anyone die on my watch no matter how mad I am . Evety covid patient I had he or she cries at one point , bcz terrified and can’t breathe . And we cry w them . Even if ok their tv is Fox News and even if we know they hated the vaccine idea .
I tell my self “ so f stupid !”. But when in the room , I ll fight for their lungs . No other way . Humans .

@Pralina1 I agree, it is a real problem. Unfortunately, I read about so many in the same position you are in who end up leaving. Then no one gets attention even those who bear no responsibility for their illnesses. My sister just graduated from nursing school and happily (for me) escaped Texass and moved to my area (Bellingham). She wants nothing to do with hospitals and another friend who also moved to Bellingham (she has a PhD as Nurse practitioner) is helping her get into public health specifically working with some native tribes in the area. I have heard of some doctors who won't even allow people to be admitted unless they have been vaccinated.

My first wife was/is bi-polar. She refused medication and I had to endure her 'episodes' for years. Later she left me and married another. Then I met a woman who also had an issue. 5 years later I realized she was alcoholic (at the time she was a maintenance drinker which made it hard to detect). She went through a de-tox program which included me. I had to join Al Anon and learn how to not be an enabler. We all have experienced what happens when enabling takes over but one must learn how to let reason reign over emotion. We need to learn how to practice tough love. I'll bet there are anti-enabling programs for people in your situation.

@JackPedigo ♥️♥️♥️

@Pralina1 Wow. Your narrative paints a clear and honest portrayal of our current situation. I wonder how many of those fortunate enough to encounter your fortitude realize just how lucky they are to have you on their side. Hospitals here are not in a good position. Many workers have quit because they refuse to be vaccinated. Many have retired early. Some are quitting because severe under-staffing creates unsafe environments for patients. Nights have been cool so I've spent a few hours outside while the sun goes down and I've watched more medical helicopters fly over head this week then the total of any other year I can recall. Our hospitals are at capacity despite an entire wing of one of the two hospitals being empty as there is nobody to staff the area. Your hospital is lucky to have you.

@NoMagicCookie hey mark ♥️
I said I ll write to u few saturdays ago and I never did 🙁
Got so f busy again , and so out of touch w self , u know , avoiding , bcz so stressed . How things at university ? Is vaccination a mandate there for students by now ??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:620561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.