Agnostic.com

12 13

LINK Christian Leaders Call For Action On Climate Change : NPR

The leaders of three prominent Christian denominations have issued an unprecedented joint statement calling on people of all faiths to take action to halt the devastating impacts of climate change.

The statement from Pope Francis, Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew — who collectively minister to more than a billion-and-a-half Christian faithful — comes as the world's political leadership prepares for a major United Nations conference on climate change, COP26, scheduled for early November in Scotland.

snytiger6 9 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How about making a statement against pedophilia in their church? Fuck the Pope and people like him wagging their fingers and tut-tutting us about how we live our lives

The Catholics are scrambling to grab onto anything that might bring the younger generations back. It's a publicity stunt

Great now if the right wing evangelical would then we can get progress

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 11, 2021

Evangelicals kind of remind me of a nonsensical clip from the Simpsons.

At some religious people have a grip on reality to some degree.

Unfortunately it's not any of the far right evangelic churches.

I have no doubt the climate is changing. My biggest concern is how do we get off gas powered cars to electric or alternative fuel vehicles without putting a strain on the poor. Gas is cheap but an electric vehicle is a lot more than a gas vehicle and alternative fuels much more expensive. I see a mother of 2 struggling mightily when we make the transition for a period of time.

Electric cars costs are going down and when the economics of mass production kicks in, they will cost less. Already the annual cost difference is only about $700, and that is figuring in the initial purchase difference. Electric motors last longer and require a lot less maintenance, which isn't figured into cost differences. Just a couple more years and costs will pretty much even out.

Better late than never.

Shit, and here's me thinking that all that kind of stuff was in the hands a gawd and jeebus anyway.....LOL.

Good luck with that.....most of the right handed folks are climate science denialist who believe the rapture is right around the corner....👀

And they are trying everything they can to bring it on.

@JackPedigo That they are....👀

@Buck remember listening to conversations in which the apocalypse was stated as an excuse not to take climate change seriously.

I remember one sermon in which pastor climate change was implied to be a thinly failed attack on Christian America.... To rule by fear or something like that.

These people are not serious. You don't see churches or religious organizations moving their financial accounts and investments into institutions that divest from fossil fuels.

They simply fear a loss of status due to not supporting the scientific consensus. They're trying to market themselves more attractively to generations of Americans who have become dissolutioned with their supremacist theocratic culture.

To call the overall Christian community insincere about climate change is an understatement.

@domos Correct

About time.

Many of their followers only pick and choose what they follow however. It is a good thing though. Think about the Rick Santorum Catholics in the US as an example - "abortion bad, but death penalty and screw over the poor and foreign immigrants good, damn the Poop."

The biggest problem with the 'Poop' is his refusal to include and mention of overpopulation. It's all about getting more equity for the poor. To solve the climate crises only means dealing with environmental injustice.

That's good, perhaps they found out that Jesus isn't coming back as soon as they had hoped, and figures that they'll need the planet in better shape if he should delay much longer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621627
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.