Agnostic.com

5 4

We all have a story about what we were doing when the 9/11 attacks happened—at least those of us over 30 do. My story is boring, and thankfully I didn’t lose anybody that day. I was on the computer in my office at home when my spouse called me and said “Get to the television fast.” I was only four steps away from the kitchen TV which was already on. I saw the aftermath of an aircraft that had crashed into a World Trade building only minutes before.

The CNN reporter didn’t know what had happened any more than I did—it was just a horrible plane crash. But just then, a second aircraft slammed into the other tower, and my brain instantly told me: “Damn, this is a planned attack!”

Before many minutes went by, the news channels flashed to President Bush in Florida. Then at 9:30 the President gave a brief statement to the nation, and left for Air Force One to get back to Washington. That’s when my brain went into emergency overdrive. I’ll bet my blood pressure went off the chart.

My thoughts were, "Mr. President, in the present situation that is a totally predictable and probably dumb thing to do."

I grabbed the phone book and noticed that my hands were shaking. How does an ordinary citizen have ANY possible chance of contacting the President? On short notice? Virtually none. But I knew the FBI had a local phone number that was listed. I flipped the pages, dialed the number, and Agent Somebody answered. He must have been watching the news too, because I could tell he was already a bit shaken.

In the time it took me to find the number and dial it, I had composed a short and terse speech. I identified myself and gave him my phone number. Then I said, “I am ex-military, and I was an intelligence operator for the U.S. Air Force. I’m also a pilot, and I have flown the northbound approach into Andrews Air Force Base a number of times. On that approach, Air Force One will be low and slow, and it will pass over 25 acres of Maryland swamp land. As I’m sure you know, we have lost at least a dozen or so Stinger missiles to Middle East terrorists. You’ve GOT to assume that somebody has predicted the President’s reaction and is sitting in a rowboat in that swamp waiting on Air Force One.”

He took about two seconds to digest that information, then he said, “Oh god. I gotta get off the phone.” Click. No thanks, no additional questions, no recognition. He realized that he had work to do.

I made another cup of coffee and then heard about the third aircraft hitting the Pentagon. Soon, CNN reported the President’s plane was not going to Washington, but rather an undisclosed location. Well, somebody had gotten the message through to the Secret Service, whether it was my local FBI guy or somebody else.

I relaxed a little bit. But then the North Tower collapsed. And then a United Airlines flight crashed in Pennsylvania. By this time, I am physically shaking. And next, the South Tower collapsed. I remember thinking, am I going to have a heart attack? Or a brain aneurysm? But then, I suppose I went into combat mode.

Dumb as it sounds, I went to the safe and got two weapons, which I loaded and racked ready to fire. Then, I sat at the kitchen counter and watched the TV like a dumb ass. What else could I do, I asked myself. A dozen ideas went through my head including driving to New York, but I decided that anything I might do would be just getting in the way. I decided to stay home and stay off the roads.

Two days later, I wrote a letter to my old employer and volunteered to come back to my old job if they wanted me. I got a nice letter in response, thanking me for the offer, but no positions were open, and they’d let me know if things changed.

mischl 8 Sep 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find your story truly fascinating.
I find it very sad that you had been so programmed by your governments, your military service and your ego that you behaved this way.

How long had you been out of service?
How badly did you perceive that you & your colleagues had failed to train up your replacements. Or was it your ego telling you that you are irreplaceable?

I'm pleased that sense kicked in and you didn't start driving after you had armed yourself. However having viewed this atrocity to your nation why have you accepted the 20 years of bullshit that you have been fed since 2001?

Incidentally 2001 wasn't the first time 9\11 resulted in atrocity. Back in 1973 thanks to Nixon, Kissinger & the CIA the people of Chile entered 17 years of 10,000's being tortured, hundreds being murdered, and thousands disappeared. Yes this horror was caused by America destroying the hopes and aspirations of the people who had just democratically voted for their choice of government.

Don't you find find it hypocritical that there is much wailing & nashing of teeth over the 20th anniversary of your 9\11 but nothing about the 50th anniversary of the 1973 9\11?

Many may just smile & say "karma".

Have a read of "Remember 9\11. Americans shame on you. Courtesy Folk & Traditional Music Group."

I had started out for a training session but got a flat near the airport. I called AAA for a tow, and went into the hotel lobby where I had stopped. That was when I saw what was going on. The tow arrived, but it took almost 2 hours to travel the 7 miles or so in streets that had become completely gridlocked.

As it was just o'early hundred on the west coast, I got up got the coffee going and figure'd I catch the Mariners highlights on the sports section of Komo news.
But all there was was a shot of the towers with smoke billowing and the anchor going on about a terrible accident and then the second plane flew in and I KNEW it was no fucking accident and bush was taking us to war. and there were no Mariners highlights. Bad start to a shitty day.

Lmao "no Mariners highlights".

Didn't you find what you saw enthralling? Hasn't it very much shaped your life over the last 20 years?

@FrayedBear No, watching it happen in real time was not enthralling. It was chilling, scary and it made me very angry because I knew the fool in the White House was going to use it as a reason to go war. I was sad for all those who died but I knew it meant more useless death and a windfall profit opportunity with the contracts for the military industrial complex.
It did make me more politically active, especially on the local level.

I really wanted to avoid re-experiencing that day. But you have made it come forward from long-term storage. I had NO IDEA any of it was happening until my adult daughter came thru the door far too early. When I asked if she was unwell, and she responded that "the whole fucking country is under attack", we turned on the television. She worked in the tallest skyscraper in Los Angrles. For a financial firm that had offices at the WTC. Everyone was sent home. Watching video of people jumping to their death on television was extremely disturbing. Knowing that the foreign policies of the US are probably the reason for that day, even more disturbing. Later in December, watching war on live television was the most disturbing. EVERYTHING is connected. There are enough resources in the world, and this country, to feed and care for everyone. But we elect leaders who are greedy and selfish, and who encourage everyone else to be the same. Promoting divisiveness keeps their pockets full.

You certainly have a point. So many people in foreign countries resent U.S. presence (i.e., "invasion" ) to a point they're will to go out in the streets and protest--or even die.

@mischl it isn't just our presence. Decisions we make in foreign policy affect the whole world. We are selfish and duplicitous, and we are exploitative of everyone and every country we can get away with.

I was a Stay At Home Mom at that time, the kids had gone to school and I was getting on with my daily routine. I always have a radio on playing adult contemporary music, but the DJs kept saying something weird, so I turned on CNN. I was shocked, dismayed. I remembered when President Kennedy was assassinated, the coverage was non stop. This was so similar. After dinner we decided we should really make sure the cars had full tanks, just in case. We were in long line at the gas station, and while we waited a older very slim male, Hispanic or Asian (I no longer remember) rode up to the c-store on a bicycle and parked the bike and went in. Some young kid started messing with his bike, and then started to ride off on it. The owner came out and caught him, took a couple swings at the kid, and the kid ran away, so the old dude got on his bike and rode off. We just thought how brassy of that kid to try to steal a bike in front of a huge crowd of witnesses in broad daylight. I had been participating in an online forum of Golden Retriever owners, found out the servers were in one of the WTC buildings, so we lost contact for a while.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:621812
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.