Agnostic.com

4 7

LINK Catholic Court Punishes Priest Found Guilty of Child Sexual Abuse With… Prayer | Hemant Mehta | Friendly Atheist | Patheos

I don't think that is really punishment for a priest. I mean it's not like he wouldn't be praying anyways. I don't think the church is all that serious about cracking down on predatory priests.

snytiger6 9 Sep 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What, no 40 hail marys? Mother Teresa is looking up from hell in astonishment.

They only punished him for one abuse, wonder how many other he abused?

Kind of how the Amish treat child abuse among their members. They try to keep it out of court and pray the evil out of the abuser and of course pray to help the abused forget the abuse, sometimes pushing them to live in the same home as their abuser.

I'd be willing to bet that most abused kids don't choose to join permanently when they come of age.

@snytiger6 I knew one personally that did stay Amish, and I’m sure there are many. Her father abused her, then was turned in for abusing one of her nieces. She was going to testify against him in court but was being pressured by her bishop not to, so that the pod could deal with it by prayer.

@Barnie2years Having only lived in West coast states, I've never met any Amish. Just read about them, mostly in books by Linda Castillio, about a former Amish woman who becomes a police chief in her home town, and a few other books.

@snytiger6 I both lived in the middle of Amish country, and had Amish and ex Amish friends. I drove public buses for 42 years, which the Amish use on a daily basis (much easier to get around than hitching up the buggy). Much of what you read is glorified malarkey or unduly negative. They are humans, and have all the same issues the rest of humanity has: gays, bad marriages, pedophiles, sexual abusers. Many of these can exist quite well in their society since they tend to live in denial of the possibility unless it gets too overt or obvious. When they are in the stage between childhood and adulthood, 13 o around 21, they often get into all kinds of troubles (rumpspringa) before they decide to become baptized into the Amish faith. This is their opportunity to leave the church and remain n good standing with its members. If they stay, they must obey the rules or risk shunning. Deviants, if they request forgiveness are generally treated much better than members who leave the faith or try to change the rules.

@Barnie2years That is pretty much what I have gathered form my reading.

Perhaps they should allow marriage already?

Fuckin’ idiots.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:622001
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.