Agnostic.com

8 14

That was unnerving.
I'm working late in my office which is upstairs and I'm the only one in the building. Suddenly it sounds like a 350 pound man is sprinting across the building toward my office, the floor was creaking and the building was popping when the entire structure lurches toward the direction the sound was coming from.
Suddenly I knew it was an earthquake, so I calmly picked up my cell phone and wandered outside searching the USGS (United States Geological Survey) until I saw it was determined preliminarily as a 4.3 centered some 15 miles under the crust.
The more time goes by without significant aftershocks the less likely they'll be bothersome later.
That's it, all out of adrenaline for tomorrows terrorist protest to release the Jan 6th terrorist.

Willow_Wisp 8 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think your military training and experience may have helped you keep a cool head, again very happy you weren't hurt

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2021

,,,calm under crisis : & keeping hope alive
Thanks

Happy you are OK

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 18, 2021

Glad you are okay and only rattled. Oklahoma is beginning to have five point earthquakes due to waste injections from fracking. Fortunately they put some limits on where and how much can be injected and things are much better. The only one that I really noticed was about nine years ago. We were in the living room and all of a sudden it sounded like there was a train coming through the house. I don't actually remember any trembles but when I went into my glass room a couple of pieces were ready to fall off the shelves. In fact one of my favorites did and landed on another favorite and they both broke.

I think fracking is smashing POTATOES under ground here in PENNSYLVANIA.
I get bags now - which i never saw the likes of !!!
They have numerous splits & cracks ALL THE WAY THROUGH the potato. This causes me to trim the
(somtimes 1/3) of the vegetable away ; without the
skin to protect the damage they rot immediately- from the inside🤔🥔/// i hope i'm wrong
Thanks
PS rough about the figurines

Glad you're okay! Yeah, the sound is the weird part. In 2001 the Nisqually earthquake hit WA State. It was approx. 100 miles west of my house in Cle Elum, WA. I was at the computer in the daylight basement. There was this rumble and noise like a semi truck was come up my driveway. I ran outside because I had 3 no trespassing signs on my drive before you reach the house and I was pissed. There was no one there and then I felt the earth move and noticed the tall pines swaying. YIKES! I also lost 30 feet of static on my well and turbidity became a problem BUT it did not go dry like 3 of my neighbors.
Was actually my second experience, the first was in 1983 I was at work at the newspaper in downtown Seattle. There was this bump like someone knocked into my light table. It was my supervisor who came in and asked if I'd felt the quake, that was how I knew it was one.
Living in CA though you probably have way more better stories. 🙂

I was in the 1994 Northridge earthquake, so yea.
That was the day I gave up on waterbeds, as the water slashed from side to side it would toss me up in the air then when I'd land there was no water under me, then poof water and I'm airborne again. It seemed like it took forever to get out of that deathtrap. Later that day I drained the water out and ordered a new traditional mattress and haven't slept on a waterbed since.

@Willow_Wisp 🤣 Oh MY! the visual on that story cracked me up but at the time I am sure was NOT funny! My SO was on a construction site in Issaquah 3 stories up, he grew up in CA and knew it was a quake and told the crew to get out of the building. It scared one guy from Montana so bad he quit and went back home. IBEW electricians can do that. The guy in the porta potty thought the crew was rocking the can for fun 🤣.
The number of smaller quakes in CA has most people pretty used to the sounds and movement. The geology up and down the whole west coast it sure fascinating!

Glad you're ok..but seriously a 350 pound guy Sprinting? That's a frightening visual, it could be used as a character in a horror film, think of all that flowing fat..😳😱🥶

My wife went through a shock at our house in rural Seattle (while I was of course out of town). It woke her up in bed on the ground floor and she thought someone had done it so she called 911.

She told the operator 'I think someone just drove into the side of my house.'
The operator said 'Well we just had an earthquake. Could that have been it? '
My wife said 'Oh. Thank god.'

The operator said she'd never seen anyone react to an earthquake that way before. Ha, ha.🙂

Was that the Nisqually quake in 2001? I was 100 miles away as the crow flies in Cle Elum, WA and it was a major jolt!! Full story is in my comment above.

@silverotter11
No. This was just a minor tremor in the early '90s. I don't think it even got a name.

Our house was in Bellevue -- but right on the edge of the slough so we were effectively isolated and it was pretty quiet.
The only attempted break in we ever saw was a raccoon -- any unexpected disturbance stood out.

Happy to see these stories here are more or less amusing rather than tragic. Be well everyone.🤗

Cannot wait to see what the crazies do.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:623055
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.