Agnostic.com

13 3

Is all religious belief based on the mystical?

What is 'the mystical' & does it have any validity for today?

atheist 8 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, all eligious belief is based on th mystical. No, the mystical -- superstition, mythology, unfounded beliefs, and irrational thought -- do not have any place in today's world.

Yes, all religions are based on the mystical -- supervision, unfounded myths, irrational beliefs. No, the mystical does not have ANY validity today.

My world view leads me to this answer, I think belief in religions are based on deep seated psychological needs.

Hmmm...all religious belief seems to be based in...superstition.

This all might be my personal opinion...

But, mysticism I think is something different and there may be some validity to mysticism as part of the human experience for those who can attain it. Not to sound like a wakadoo but it's really about finding oneness with the universe. Most every religion has their mystics, Shamanism of American Indians, Kabbalah of Judaism, Mysticism of the Christians. Sufis, the tolerant, supposedly peaceful followers of Islam and it goes on and on...

so not to confuse mysticism with superstition?

Are unicorns really in the bible?

@atheist Oh, okay.

Some people have mystical experiences in which they hallucinate visions or voices, sometimes regularly. If they gain enough followers they become a prophet and a founder of a religion. There’s certainly some religions that are based on active deception of the adherents, but not all.
Lay people who have had these types of experiences, (provided the experience can be understood within the dogma of the group) become saints. Some have suggested many of the prophets and mystics were schizophrenic, yet I think there is a distinction between mental illness and types of experiences some report (the feeling of the Holy Spirit being poured over them, a sense of a comforting presence.)
It would be interesting to know if there is some genetic difference between those inclined to believe and pursue mystical experiences and those inclined toward atheism.
The experiences for the believers are real to them, there’s just not evidence that these experiences come from a deity of any sort.
Sam Harris has some interesting thoughts on the validity of mystical experiences within a secular context.
Let me know your thoughts.

Yup, the entire premise is a man made lie! At its best an illusion and at worst a reason to kill because of that illusion.

Religion is based on fear, guilt, anger. There's nothing mystical about it.

Fear. Power. Control.
That's all.

Yes, it is based on mystical things, otherwise it would just be a philosophy. And no, it doesn't have any validity for today or any age. Mystical things is just appealing to supernatural causes, and there is no evidence for anything supernatural.

Other than my amazingly good looks! (my mother told me so.)

It's based on power and manipulation of the willing, the weak, and the stupid.

Perfect description of a con man's marks.

Mysticism is important in all the religions I am familiar with, but so is philosophy. If you haven't done so already, you might enjoy reading Karen Armstrong's A HISTORY OF GOD. Armstrong includes a chapter on both topics.

I study Christian history, A HISTORY OF GOD is a must read if one is interested. It is a very good recommendation.

I have a couple of things, and one of them is an "opinion". 😉

I think the mystical was certain brain functions that people didn't understand, but could experience, and which seemed to operate outside of ordinary experience. What people called supernatural was probably just functions of the subconscious mind.

skado Level 9 Apr 21, 2018

For instance the feeling od "unreality" than certain uncooked vegetables may cause. ... and which plants then become used by "prophets" to put themselves into a trance? and of course, "deja vue"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:62451
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.