Agnostic.com

5 12

I've been live watching the volcano in La Palma.
Most of the live channels suck from all the MAGA/JESUS/FLAT EARTH/ANTI-VAX...
Then I found this channel with strong moderators diligently shutting down BS.
I thought I'd share because you seem to be the kind of people that would appreciate getting away from religion and politics.
Oh and don't mention being an none believer, no one cares.
You're welcome!

Willow_Wisp 8 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very few people have witnessed a volcanic eruption, maybe one in a million but it is a spectacular event. I saw a small eruption in Costa Rica back in the early 2000's and it does leave a person feeling rather small compared to the geological forces of a planet.

I'm hoping that part of the cone doesn't collapse and create a tsunami. It's a remote possibility but it would have potentially devestating consequences for many coastal cities.

Though the possibility of this becoming a catastrophic event if anyone needs an excuse to move this would be it. One would have to move past the line created by the last large tsunami to hit this US from something of this kind. It would be like the movie where a comet hits the Atlantic Ocean. People in Florida would all just be gone, I am sorry to say, the rest of the south and east would also be in danger.
[theatlantic.com]
This link is for the Pacific Ocean as The Island of Hawaii failed and created a tsunami, which is what people are concerned about happening in the Canary Islands.

I doubt this is a reasonable thing to worry about.
Seriously if it were that easy to do then why did terrorist bother to learn to fly aircraft into buildings, when they could have just wired up the existing fault for demolition to create the land slide and wiped out our entire East coast?
Something doesn't follow there.
I wondered this every time I heard about the danger from La Palma.

@Willow_Wisp My understanding of what happened in Mauritania years ago, the tsunami was caused by a side of the volcano moving into the ocean at once. The fault was apparently five miles long and when it failed it sent this land into the ocean. A tsunami was caused that sent a wall of water 600 feet tall into the East coast of the US, much more was affected than this. I will do more research to see if I can substantiate what I am saying. I found this, I am having some slow moments today so I hope this is pertainant.
[searchanddiscovery.com]

@dalefvictor Then Ben Laden was a profoundly stupid terrorist.

@Willow_Wisp I edited my comment to make more sense. Also, I did not realize Mauritania is a part of Africa, I thought it was an island off the coast of itself. The damage of this tsunami was to everything on the east coast of any country in the Americas.

@Willow_Wisp Two very different events and Bin Laden couldn't produce anything near the cataclysmic force of a tsunami generated by a volcano collapsing and setting off that sort of destruction. The Yellowstone area is a probable source of a super volcano eruption that would devastate North America and much of the planet the way Krakatoa did a few centuries back. Geological events happen in geological time which is much longer than what humans can easily comprehend for the most part but these events do occur and on a more regular basis than we would like to believe.
Imagine the aftermath of a 600' high wall of sea water hitting the Eastern Seaboard of the United States, that's the potential but it is unlikely.

Awesome

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 26, 2021

Wowza...thank you for this..❤❤❤❤
So is it still venting from the side or is it from new fractures in the surrounding area?

I don't know enough to make a pronouncement, I just watch on the internet.

Wow... stunning!
Things actually do happen in the world.
Hope the people losing their homes are helped.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:624636
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.