Agnostic.com

27 8

Does a spiritual but not religious person say grace?

For some reason my post/question got deleted.
I had a woman I was going to date that said she was spiritual but not religious. I took that to mean she believed in a god but did not follow any religion.

We had coffee-snack for our meet and greet. She said grace and told me she always thanked God and asked for blessings That sounded religious to me,

What is your own definition of "Spiritual but Not Religious?"

Shane4Agnostic 4 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both words have so many levels of value that ambiguity is unavoidable. But I'll argue that spiritual has a less defined and unconventional (non-Abrahamic) connotation, while the term ' religious ' refers to an Judeo-Christian or Abraham-based belief system where God has a personality that hears prayers and may respond. Thus, in a spiritual system, one (probably) does not believe in a personality that hears prayers an thus, grace has no meaning. Fundamentally, prayer is superstitious wishing, and all non-scientific belief is superstitious in nature. Thus, grace may well be given up by those like the label of spiritual, but it's still all superstition, whether spiritual or religious.

That's optional.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:625692
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.