Agnostic.com

5 15

Charlie missed the beauty of our beloved state park.

Today Karen and I hiked five miles above Squilchuck State Park. Fall comes to the woods with delicate beauty.

Last week, Charlie missed the point of our beloved park when he criticized the switchbacks. He missed the beauty. The quiet and serenity. No motorized vehicles are allowed.

"In the olden days, the U.S. Forest Service built trails straight up and down," Charilie said. That's what I prefer instead of all the switchbacks." (See my note, below.)

"These are bicycle trails built by volunteers from Evergreen Mountain Bicycle Alliance," I replied. "You just saw the park dried out after our extreme drought and high heat."

"This park is beautiful for winter snowshoeing and wildflowers in the Spring," I continued. "During high heat in August, there is cool shade in the morning. Shade is rare in North Central Washington."

"After a hard hike, it's easier to walk and get exercise here with the switchbacks," Karen explained. "And it's close to town."

Squilchuck State Park is a treasure.

Note: Who says "In the olden days"? Grumpy old curmudgeons.

Charlie was incorrect. Fishermen's trails tended to go straight up. The U.S. Forest Service made fisherman's trails safer by building switchbacks. Switchbacks help control erosion.

A good example is the improved trail with switchbacks to Minotaur and Theseus Lakes, WA.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who goes walking with good scenery and good company and then spends their time whining and finding fault. I'd say he failed the arsehole test.
And he hasn't grasped the concept that walking is about enjoying the walk and the beauty, not getting there by the quickest and shortest route.

@Cyklone

Good point.

Charlie is not a match.

Mansplaining on a hike?

@BufftonBeotch

You're right.

Charlie is no fun. He's too negative. I don't even like him.

Switchbacks help in the control of erosion. They ease the steep incline of a hike. I don’t know what “olden days” he is talking about.

@Sierra4

Exactly. Switchbacks help control erosion and ease the steep incline of a hike.

Charlie is a technical rock climber. He said he and his climbing partner, Andy, climb in the same place repeatedly, trying to find a way up difficult, vertical rock walls. Obsessively staring at cracks in the granite.

No wonder he doesn't see the beauty around him.

Beautiful

His loss.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.