Agnostic.com

1 6

A lot of funny. "We don't have to respect everyone's beliefs."

Beowulfsfriend 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Completely agree! Respect cannot be given, it must be earned, even when it comes to other people’s beliefs. If a belief is well-founded and evidence-based, then there is an opportunity for respect.

As Oswald notes when dismissing the entire notion of respecting others’ beliefs, “You have to acknowledge other people’s beliefs, but then you have to reserve the right to say, ‘that is fuckin’ stupid, are you kidding me!’”

@EarnestEccentric It seems to me that well-meaning progressives and liberal (in the classical sense of the term) minded folks like myself, have bent over backwards in an attempt to be accommodating, only to see what we knew as a secular society begin to fade, as religion keeps putting a larger foot in the door.

Perhaps we have failed to make the distinction between the believer and the belief itself. The Constitution protects the right of an individual to hold a belief. We are not (at present) a society that would seek to impose mind control. That right does not extend to the the belief itself, however, no matter how cherished or dear it might be.

Beliefs need to be detached from believers, put out on a virtual table for all of us to examine, and to discuss the relative merits and weaknesses of each belief, so that we may then decide for ourselves whether or not the belief deserves respect.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626181
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.