Agnostic.com

8 10

I used to have a 1959 Morris Minor, white with red leather seats. I can still smell the leather. I would love to have an electric Morris Minor. I agree there should be tax incentives available because sending old cars to the scrap heap also increases the size of the scrap heap.

[bbc.com]

Lorajay 9 Oct 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"I agree there should be tax incentives available because sending old cars to the scrap heap also increases the size of the scrap heap."

Wondering about the logic here? Do tell.

Even though some scrap is recycled not all of it is ever reused. Some components have to be burned or buried. I do not think we have limitless space for debris.

@Lorajay The question is why should there be a tax incentive because of scrap?

@waitingforgodo my wording was both poor and confusing. The tax incentive is for the decrease in the use of fossil fuels. The decrease in the scrap heap is just an added benefit.

The Morris Minor was known as the engineers car because the body work was bolted together not welded.

Which is why there are so many of them still around today.
If a bit get dented, take it off and replace it

Awww, Moggy Minor.
Get in, slam door shut, tinny noise, clunk. Keys in, start engine, try again, and again. Let sit for five minutes, remember choke this time. Recheck gear stick and handbrake. Try again, vVVRRRuummmm, tigger, tigger, tigger, clutch down, into first. Mirror, indicate move off, up to second....... third..... fourth, apply brake, clancky grinding sound, keep going, wipe condensation off windscreen with back of hand. Moggy starts to shudder, remember choke in a little, thewn a little bit more....
Tell you what, I love modern cars. Open automatically, press start, systems self check, press down on brake, engage D, ready to drive, pull away set speed...

Agree

If it was a 1959 Morris minor (and a convertable) , it was a series three, Known as the Morris 1000.
It had a top speed of 75 mph. They and their Predecessors the series 2 and the actual Morris Minor were an extraordinary car manufactured up until 1972. (The notable difference was the Split windscreen of the Morris Minor/oxford and the single piece windscreen of the Morris 1000)
(there was an earlier version of the Morris Minor made from 1928 to 1933, the commonly known distinctive version of the MM was named in honour of this.)
There was also a larger faster version made but rather be called the Morris Major it was name the Morris Oxford (My father owned one.)

The engineer's car.

I was passed by a Minor while driving in Scotland, back in the 1990s. It passed my rented Fiat like I was standing still. 😀

I don't remember mine being all that fast. I did eventually turn it over on a curve out in the mountains and it was totaled. No one was hurt which I thought was amazing since it was a convertible.

It was great fun to drive especially when I passed a big truck with the convertible top down. I always got a friendly toot from their air horn.

@Lorajay Can you soup up a Morris?

It might also have been something to do with my being extra cautious driving a rental, in another country, on (for me) the wrong side of the road.

I also remember leaving a hotel at Loch Lomond after a fine poached salmon dinner and a whiskey (before dinner), feeling very relaxed and replete, en route to my B&B, and being mystified why I saw headlights coming straight at me a mile or so ahead. Then I remembered... "Drive on the left..."

I can't use an EV in the city. There's nowhere to park the car or charge it. Suburban homes with driveways and garages can set up home charging ports. People in apartments or homes in inner city can't. This won't happen for at least 10 or 15 years. My car is paid for. I'm not going to trash it. I'm not going to buy an EV, maybe ever. The overwhelming majority of people will continue to buy internal combustion cars unless they are made illegal or gas costs $10/gallon.

One of my friends has bought a plug-in hybrid which might be a great choice for you. I imagine the proposed tax incentives will create new opportunities.sooner than 10 or 15 years for people to charge their cars while shopping. My Norwegian friends go to the grocery store and get a free electric charge for their EV vehicle.

[cnbc.com]

@Lorajay A conventional hybrid would be a good choice for me. I have nowhere to plug in a plug in. Batteries have a shelf life. Replacing bad cells is not a reliable fix because other cells will go bad down the road. New battery replacement is the only reliable fix. Think of it as totaled. The new replacement battery costs more than the book value of the car. I predict that by the time infrastructure for EVs is mainstream, there will be a new technology that makes EVs obsolete. This is not a popular opinion among progressives in the green community but I think it's correct.

Petrol in the UK is about $5.50 per US gal.

@Sofabeast Gas in the USA is about $3-$4/gallon depending on where.

Yeah. They should be converting older broken cars to electric or hybrid for resale (if that's possible). They'd be much cheaper and we need everyone to have that capability.

It's not possible. Unless you want to pay $25K to update an old car. That article is stupid.

@barjoe Okay.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626224
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.