Agnostic.com

7 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I've been an atheist since my teens but I have never given up any rituals and have invented at least one because rituals can be very useful. All of my family meals begin with a centering. We hold hands and I say something to the effect I am so thankful we are sharing this meal together because I love you all. It makes for a much nicer meal time when everyone is on the same page.

I listened to this book several months ago. Echoed my thoughts that I hadn't put in to words. It's always nice to get a little wisdom from a Sagan too!

Of course they do, just look at Thanks Giving or Christmas.

This country would be better off if enough people would join in on secular rituals.

Sounds like a great book! Western atheism tends to be too much like the monotheistic religions - fanatic about rejecting what's not right.

I celebrate Christmas, et cetera as cultural festivals. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Christmas tree, gift giving, feasting, and drinking!

Religion survives because it provides community and meaning. We can repurpose their traditions. No need to reinvent the wheel...

Most xtian traditions in terms of festivals came from pagan festivals which they were trying to eradicate or alter to their own version so I see no harm in turning them into something else.

@Budgie Pagans used boughs of Holly, not whole trees, and no fire causing lights. Your home burns down (due to dry Holly) it is your problem. The house next door burns down, also, and you have committed an avoidable tragedy.

I love this idea, as many of my atheist/agnostic friends don't like the idea of celebrating christmas. Why can't we just have a winter festival instead on the same day?

There used to be pagan festivals at that time of the year.
Some of them are fun.

We call it New Year's Eve and Day. There's also Thanksgiving and V-D. We don't need Xtian holidays (that includes Easter) and those should be private. That's my opinion.

How ‘bout human sacrifice??!! LOL

Burn a few right wing pundits and politicians at the stake.

@Beowulfsfriend Trumpanzees also!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:626641
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.